The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This Healthier Chicken Cacciatore takes the classic Italian dish and lightens it up with a leaner, thinner cut of chicken that’s sautéed and not breaded and fried.
Disclosure: This post for Chicken Cacciatore includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy an item after clicking my link.
I am getting spoiled living in California where fresh local products are available year round. My back window literally looks out on the fields where the majority of the Roma tomatoes produced in America are grown (see picture below). I love how fresh food carries the flavors of a dish without needing much seasoning, because nothing beats that locally grown fresh flavor.
My California-grown produce for this Chicken Caccaitore recipe:
- Roma Tomatoes
- Basil (from my garden!)
What Make this Chicken Cacciatore recipe healthier?
Chicken Cacciatore must have thousands of different versions because you know, everyone’s Italian grandma has their own way of cooking the dish or some sort of “secret ingredient” added to the mix. Well, I don’t have an Italian Grandma so I came up with my very own recipe that’s faster than the classic and a bit heathier, too. And my “secret ingredient” is loads of fresh veggies!
My version is heathier because I use a leaner, thinner cut of chicken that’s not breaded or fried. I also opted for the bright, vibrant flavors of fresh vegetables that are quickly cooked instead of simmering away for hours. So not only is my Chicken Cacciatore healthier, but quicker to make, too!
While this recipe is light on calories, it is definitely not light on flavor! The produce and fresh herbs brighten the dish. The mushrooms become little sponges that absorb so much flavor from the other ingredients in the dish that when you bite into them you get a nice little burst of sauce and the aeromatics of the onion and bell pepper.
What is good to serve with Chicken Cacciatore?
I like to serve mine over spaghettie or fettucine which is the traditional way, or you serve it over egg noodles, polenta, or even rice!
How Do You Make Healthier Chicken Cacciatore:
- Gather your ingredients and chop the produce.
- Place your chicken in a greased 9×13-inch pan.
- Mix the remaining ingredients, except for the cheese, together in a large bowl.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken.
- Cover with foil and cook. During the last 5 minutes of cooking remove the foil and sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve!
Cook’s Note- Healthier Chicken Cacciatore:
- You can serve this Chicken cacciatore over pasta (like I did), rice, polenta, or mashed potatoes.
- To make this recipe ahead of time, prepare everything up until putting the dish in the oven. Cover and keep the dish in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
- Note: You will need to add about 5-10 minutes to the cooking time.
Cook’s Tools and ingredients – Healthier Chicken Cacciatore:
ONE YEAR AGO: French Bread Pizza
TWO YEARS AGO: Loaded Greek Fries
THREE YEARS AGO: Copycat Outback Steak House Walkabout Soup
Healthier Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
- 1.75 pounds Thin-Sliced Chicken Breast Fillets I like the Foster Farms brand
- 1 15- ounce can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup chicken broth or white wine
- 3 Roma tomatoes deseeded and ½-inch dice
- 1 medium yellow onion ½-inch dice
- 1 medium green bell pepper ½-inch dice
- 1 medium red bell pepper ½-inch dice
- 8 ounces button mushrooms sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh basil leaves (plus more for garnish)
- 2 Tablespoons capers rinsed and drained
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pounds pasta cooked as per package instructions
- Move oven rack to the middle position, and preheat to 400 degrees F. Spray 9x13-inch pan with olive oil. Lay chicken breast fillets in a single layer, covering bottom of pan.
- In a large bowl add remaining ingredients, reserving 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and all of Parmesan cheese for later. Give everything a quick stir. Distribute mixture evenly over chicken. Cover with foil and cook for 15 minutes. Remove foil and cook an additional 20 minutes, adding remaining mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese during last 5 minutes of cooking. Remove from oven and cool briefly, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and serve over pasta.
Makes 6 serving.
This Chicken Caccaitore post first appeaded on FFF on October 7, 2015. Here are some fo the original photos:
ENTER YOUR NAME AND EMAIL AND GET MY DELICIOUS WEEKLY NEWSLETTER... IT'S FREE!
This looks amazing!
I can’t wait to try this! This is one of our favorite meals!
Michelle @ The Complete Savorist says
Chicken cacciatore is one of my most favorite dishes…ever. This one looks fantastic.
Luci's Morsels says
This looks delicious! I love how easy it is, making it perfect for a weeknight. Yummy!
Thank you, it’s definitely a hit at my house!
This looks simply amazing! I love how colorful this dish is, and such a great idea for dinner!
I love how you have lightened it up, but it still has tons of flavour. I like the idea of serving it on polenta too.
Bintu | Recipes From A Pantry says
This looks so healthy and delicious! Love that it is so colourful and packed full of flavour
This is a colorful and delicious meal!