Disclosure: This recipe for Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Soup Copycat Recipe + a Le Creuset GIVEAWAY includes affiliate links. This means I make a few cents if you buy the item after clicking my link. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep this blog running on butter…lots of butter.
Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Soup
Welcome to #SouperJanuary! In honor of National Soup Month I will be sharing some “souper” recipes with you all month-long. To begin I chose a fabulous copycat recipe for Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Soup.
Plus I’ll be giving away a Le Creuset 10-Quart Stockpot to one lucky reader!
On a recent trip to Outback Steakhouse I noticed that their Walkabout Soup wasn’t on the menu anymore (does anyone know if this is permanent? Will it be moonlighting as a “soup special” at all?). Panic set it. As soon as I got home I searched for a copycat recipe. I tried the one I found a few times and tweaked it a little. This recipe tastes very, very close to Outback’s Walkabout Soup. I hope you enjoy my copycat recipe!
Cook’s Note for Walkabout Soup:
- If you’re serving this as a main dish, it will serve 6 people.
- After you whisk in the flour in step 2, a few small clumps of flour will remain. Don’t fret, they will be gone at the end of the 30 minute simmer!
Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Soup Copycat Recipe + a Le Creuset GIVEAWAY!Print Pin Rate
- 10 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup white cooking wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 large sweet yellow onions quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 large white onion quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 cup all purpose flour sifted
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese plus more for garnish
- salt & freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot add the chicken stock, cooking wine, bay leaves and onions. Bring to a boil over high heat, and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Remove the bay leaves, and gently whisk in the flour until a few, small clumps of flour remain. Simmer soup for 30 minutes.
- Add the cream, cheddar, and Monterey cheeses. Stir until the cheese melts, and then turn off the heat. Season with salt & pepper.
- Serve with extra cheese as garnish.
Because my readers are so awesome I’ve decided to sponsor this giveaway for a pretty sweet Le Creuset 10-Quart Stockpot!
One luck winner will win…Le Creuset Enamel-on-Steel Covered Stockpot, 10-Quart
- Winner’s choice of color
- Valued at $145
- Giveaway ends Thursday, February 5th, 2015 at midnight
- Open to US residents only ages 18+
Disclosure: This giveaway is in no way affiliated, administered or endorsed by Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, or Instagram. The giveaway closes on February 5, 2015 at 12 am PST. The winner will be chosen by random.org and will be displayed in this post. The winner will be notified by email on or before February 6, 2015 and will need to respond within 48 hours to claim their prize or another winner will be chosen. Winner must be 18 years of age or older and a US resident to win. All prizes will be mailed by the sponsor, Food Folks and Fun. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. See the rest of Food Folks and Fun’s disclosure policy here.
Hungry for some more soup recipes?
Check out my most popular soup recipes!