The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This copycat Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Soup recipe is delicious, comforting, and just as good as the original!
On a recent trip to Outback Steakhouse, I noticed that their Walkabout Soup wasn’t on the menu anymore (does anyone know if this is permanent? Will it be moonlighting as a “soup special” at all?). Panic set it. As soon as I got home, I searched for a copycat recipe. I tried the one I found a few times and tweaked it a little. This recipe tastes very, very close to Outback’s Walkabout Soup. I hope you enjoy my copycat recipe!
P.S. Yes, that is a copycat loaf of Outback Steakhouse Honey-Wheat Bushman’s Bread you see there in the picture.
- If you’re serving this as a main dish, it will serve 6 people.
- After you whisk in the flour in step 2, a few small clumps of flour will remain. Don’t fret. They will be gone at the end of the 30-minute simmer!
Hungry for some more soup recipes?
More Soup Recipes
- Sausage & Butter Bean Soup
- Olive Garden Chicken & Gnocchi Soup
- Creamy Vegetable Soup
- Jalapeno Popper Soup
Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Soup Copycat Recipe
- 10 cups low sodium chicken stock
- ¼ cup white cooking wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 large sweet yellow onions quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 large white onion quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 cup all purpose flour sifted
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese plus more for garnish
- ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese plus more for garnish
- salt & freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot add the chicken stock, cooking wine, bay leaves and onions. Bring to a boil over high heat, and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Remove the bay leaves, and gently whisk in the flour until a few, small clumps of flour remain. Simmer soup for 30 minutes.
- Add the cream, cheddar, and Monterey cheeses. Stir until the cheese melts, and then turn off the heat. Season with salt & pepper.
- Serve with extra cheese as garnish.