THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
This copycat Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Soup recipe is delicious, comforting, and just as good as the original!
Welcome to #SouperJanuary! In honor of National Soup Month I will be sharing some “souper” recipes with you all month-long. To begin I chose a fabulous copycat recipe for Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Soup.
On a recent trip to Outback Steakhouse, I noticed that their Walkabout Soup wasn’t on the menu anymore (does anyone know if this is permanent? Will it be moonlighting as a “soup special” at all?). Panic set it. As soon as I got home I searched for a copycat recipe. I tried the one I found a few times and tweaked it a little. This recipe tastes very, very close to Outback’s Walkabout Soup. I hope you enjoy my copycat recipe!
P.S. Yes, that is a copycat loaf of Outback Steakhouse Honey-Wheat Bushman’s Bread you see there in the picture.
- If you’re serving this as a main dish, it will serve 6 people.
- After you whisk in the flour in step 2, a few small clumps of flour will remain. Don’t fret, they will be gone at the end of the 30-minute simmer!
Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Soup Copycat Recipe
- 10 cups low sodium chicken stock
- ¼ cup white cooking wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 large sweet yellow onions quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 large white onion quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 cup all purpose flour sifted
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese plus more for garnish
- ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese plus more for garnish
- salt & freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot add the chicken stock, cooking wine, bay leaves and onions. Bring to a boil over high heat, and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Remove the bay leaves, and gently whisk in the flour until a few, small clumps of flour remain. Simmer soup for 30 minutes.
- Add the cream, cheddar, and Monterey cheeses. Stir until the cheese melts, and then turn off the heat. Season with salt & pepper.
- Serve with extra cheese as garnish.
Hungry for some more soup recipes?
Check out my most popular soup recipes!
- Sausage & Butter Bean Soup
- Olive Garden Chicken & Gnocchi Soup
- Easy Chipotle Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- Creamy Vegetable Soup