The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
These Sausage and Peppers Sloppy Joes are some serious comfort food! They’re super easy to make, all you’ll need is just 25 minutes!
Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy an item after clicking my link.
Traditional Italian sausage and peppers are some of my favorite comfort food, but it can take ALL day to make with the caramelizing of the onions and simmering of the sauce, etc. For dinner this week I wanted something that would satisfy my craving for sausage and peppers but that was quick AND easy to make, and so Sausage & Peppers Sloppy Joes was born!
This whole recipe came together in just 25 minutes. I can see folks enjoying this for a quick weeknight dinner or as part of some game day eats!
Cook’s Note – Sausage and Peppers Sloppy Joes:
- You can use either your favorite jarred marinara sauce or homemade marinara for this recipe.
- For an extra flavor punch, you can toast the split ciabatta rolls and rub them with a garlic clove, and brush with butter!
Cook’s Tools and Ingredients – Sausage and Peppers Sloppy Joes:
ONE YEAR AGO: Classic Tomato Basil Soup
TWO YEARS AGO: Chicken Chow Mein
THREE YEARS AGO: Sausage and Butter Bean Soup
Sausage and Peppers Sloppy Joes - A Quick & Easy Recipe!
- 16 ounces hot Italian sausage casings removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large red bell peppers sliced into strips
- 1 large yellow onion sliced into strips
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ cups marinara sauce
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 ciabatta rolls
- In a large, deep skillet over medium heat cook the sausage until browned and completely cooked through, 7-10 minutes. Remove from the skillet and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Do not turn off the heat.
- To the same skillet add the olive oil and heat until shimmering. Add the bell pepper and onions and cook until the bell peppers are softened and the onions are browned about 5-6 minutes. Next, add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the sausage back to the pan and the marinara sauce, and cook until the mixture is heated through and the sauce is reduced a little, about 5 minutes. Remove mixture from the heat and add the basil. Spoon over split ciabatta rolls, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and serve immediately.
Makes 4-6 servings.
Looking for more Quick & Easy Sloppy Joe recipes?
Check out my Philly Cheese Steak Sloppy Joes and my Sloppy Janes recipes.
This recipe was first published on January 21, 2014. Here are some of the original photos for this recipe.
ENTER YOUR NAME AND EMAIL AND GET MY DELICIOUS WEEKLY NEWSLETTER... IT'S FREE!
Good peppers always take a sandwich to the next level. Especially when you’re making Sloppy Joe’s! 🙂
I love a quick easy recipes!