These Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes are serious comfort food. They make a great weeknight meal or tasty game day snacks. 20 minutes is all you need to make this recipe!
Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy an item after clicking my link.
These Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes are serious comfort food. They make a great weeknight meal or tasty game day snacks. Plus, you can make this recipe in just 20 minutes! That means you’ll be spending less time in the kitchen and more time with your family.
How to Make Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes:
- Brown the meat.
- Add the veggies and cook until softened.
- Add the Worcestershire and stock. Cook until almost evaporated.
- Make the cheese sauce.
- Assemble and eat!
20 minutes, folks. That’s all it takes to make these Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes!
Cook’s Note – Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes:
- Here’s a trick to fit more meat onto the submarine roll: before toasting split the roll in half and remove most of the soft insides of the bottom roll. This will create a nice little well for more of the Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joe mixture to fill.
Cook’s Tools – Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes:
ONE YEAR AGO: Homemade Pimento Cheese
TWO YEARS AGO: Asian Coleslaw Salad
THREE YEARS AGO: Thai Chicken Soup
Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium bell pepper diced
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup beef stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 ½ Tablespoon four
- 1 cup milk any kind but skim
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 submarine rolls split in half and toasted
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, swirl it around the pan and add ground beef. Using back of a wooden spoon break up ground beef and cook until browned, about 5-6 minutes. Add bell pepper and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender; 3-4 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce and beef stock. Bring mixture to bubble and continue to cook until almost all liquid is evaporated; 3-4 minutes.
- CHEESE SAUCE: While meat cooks, make the cheese sauce. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly for about 1 minute. Whisk in milk and bring to a low boil. Continue to boil, whisking frequently, until thickened; about 2 minutes. Take the saucepan off the heat, add shredded cheese and stir until cheese is completely melted.
- TO FINISH: Add ¼ of meat mixture to a toasted roll. Top with cheese sauce. Repeat with remaining rolls and serve!
Makes 4 Sloppy Joes.
This post was first published on September 22, 2015. Here are some of the original pictures.