Pumpkin Chili is the ultimate fall dish; it’s hearty, comforting, and has just a touch of delicious pumpkin flavor.
Disclosure: This post for Pumpkin Chili recipe includes affiliate links. See the rest of Food Folks and Fun’s disclosure policy here.
On Halloween, my kids get decked out in their favorite costumes, and this year I’m going to do the same to my recipes! Before we go door-to-door I’ll be dressing up our favorite chili recipe by adding seasonal ingredients and some of our favorite Horizon Organic products. I’ll be serving Pumpkin Chili with Pumpkin Grilled cheese.
I made this pumpkin chili and pumpkin grilled cheese this week as a trial run for Halloween. While I made dinner my 5-year-old was doing homework at the kitchen table. She asked me what we were having for dinner and I told her. She totally flipped! Her favorite part of the meal was the pumpkin grilled cheese! They’re packed full with her favorite cheese and crunchy pumpkin seeds.
I like to make grilled cheese under the broiler. That way I can make grilled cheese for my entire family at the same time instead of sandwiches going cold while I make the others.
Here’s how to make Pumpkin Grilled Cheese:
- Cut the bread using a large pumpkin cookie cutter. Place bread slices on a cookies sheet.
- Place the cookie sheet under the broiler until lightly golden.
- Remove cookie sheet from the oven, slip bread slices over and top with cheese and pumpkin seeds.
- Place the cookie sheet back in the oven to melt the cheese.
- Remove the cookie sheet from the oven, and place bread slices together to make sandwiches. Serve!
Cook’s Note – Pumpkin Chili Recipe:
- When I’m looking to make this chili a little healthier, I like to use ground turkey instead of ground beef.
- Leftovers will jeep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Cook’s Tools and Ingredients – Pumpkin Chili:
ONE YEAR AGO: Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers
TWO YEARS AGO: Breakfast Burritos
THREE YEARS AGO: Pumpkin Sausage Pasta
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 large red bell pepper diced
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ¼ cup taco seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 15 ounce can pumpkin
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 14.5 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Mexican Cheese
- Pumpkin seeds shelled and roasted
In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic to pot. Sauté until onions turn opaque and begin to brown on edges, about 4 minutes. Add ground beef, and using back of wooden spoon break meat apart into chunks. Cook until browned, about 5-8 minutes.
Add taco seasoning and chili powder. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in pumpkin, tomatoes, black beans, water, salt, and pepper. Increase the temperature to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until desired consistency is reached. Garnish with sour cream, cheese, and pumpkin seeds. Serve.
This Pumpkin Chili recipe first appeared on FFF on October 23, 2015. I recently updated the pictures. Here are some of the old ones: