Disclosure: This post for Pumpkin Sheet Cake with Browned Butter Cinnamon Icing includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy the item after clicking my link. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep this blog running. See the rest of Food Folks and Fun’s disclosure policy here.
Pumpkin Sheet Cake with Browned Butter Cinnamon Icing
Alright folks, if you make just one pumpkin dessert this fall, this has got to be the one! You’ve all heard of Texas Sheet Cake, right? Well, I’m calling this a Pumpkin Sheet Cake. It’s not quite a cookie bar, not quite a brownie, so Pumpkin Sheet Cake it is. What makes this dessert amazing is the Browned Butter Cinnamon Icing. It ignites the taste buds with its rich, nutty, toffee undertones.
This recipe makes a TON! I’m talking 24, big slices. This would be the perfect dessert to feed a crowd, bring to a pot luck, or sell at a bake sale.
Cook’s Note for Pumpkin Sheet Cake with Browned Butter Cinnamon Icing:
- When mixing the flour into the cake batter, make sure you mix until just combined. Because no one likes a tough, over-mixed sheet cake.
- When browning the butter for icing, it is important you constantly swirl the pan. The butter can go from browned & nutty to burnt & stinky if you’re not watching carefully.
- Serves: 24 large squares
- Serving size: 1 large square
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 15-ounce can pumpkin puree
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3-4 tablespoons milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2¾ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a half sheet sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until combined and creamy, about 1 minute. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat on low until combined, about 30 seconds. Beat in the pumpkin on low until just combined. Add the flour and pulse the mixer until half of the flour is mixed in. Increase the speed to low and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared sheet pan and spread evenly with an offset spatula. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with just a few moist crumbs. Place the sheet pan on a wire rack to cool completely, about 2 hours.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter and continue to cook, swirling the pan constantly until the butter is dark golden brown (not burnt) and has a nutty aroma. Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the brown sugar, salt, 2 tablespoons of the milk, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat on medium speed for 30 seconds. Let the mixture rest for 3 minutes, then mix again on medium speed for 30 seconds. Repeat for one more round of resting and mixing. Add the sifted powdered sugar and cinnamon, pulse until almost entirely combined, then increase to medium and beat until creamy. Add milk, ½ tablespoon at a time, until the desired consistency is reached.
- Using an offset spatula, spread the icing over the cake. Let set up for 30 minutes before slicing into 24 squares.
Check out my other Pumpkin Recipes:
Want to get fabulous fall recipes in your news feed? Then follow my Pinterest board!
I’m linking up this recipe for Pumpkin Sheet Cake with Browned Butter Icing at:
Menu Plan Monday , Skip to My Lou, Show & Tell, Lil’ Luna, Somewhat Simple, Tidy Mom, The Best Blog Recipes, WhipperBerry, Tatertots and Jell-O, Lolly Jane, I Heart Naptime,The 36th Avenue, Today’s Creative Blog, Six Sister’s Stuff, 30 Handmade Days, The Idea Room, Craft-o-maniac, Classy Clutter, The Cards We Drew, Blooming Homestead, The Crafted Sparrow, Giggles Galore, C.R.A.F.T, Uncommon Designs