The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Pumpkin Chiffon Pie has a light, airy pumpkin filling and flaky pie crust, and it’s finished with homemade whipped cream.
It costs approximately $6.32 to make this recipe. The recipe makes eight servings and costs around $0.79 per serving.
Baking pies can be such a fun activity! For more pie inspiration, check out my Deep Dish Apple Pie, Cherry Crumble Pie, and Semi-Homemade Dutch Apple Pie.
No Thanksgiving dessert table is complete without a pumpkin pie. However, what if you do not care for traditional pumpkin pie or want to step up your pumpkin pie game? Then this recipe for Chiffon Pumpkin Pie is for you!
This light and airy pie is perfectly spiced and full of pumpkin flavor but more mousse-like in texture than a classic pumpkin pie with a pudding-like filling. Whipping the raw egg whites and folding them into the pie filling creates a pillow-like texture that is silky smooth.
Ingredients and Estimated Cost
Per Serving Cost: $0.79
Recipe Cost: $6.32
- ½ cup unsalted butter – $0.88
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour – $0.11
- 1 ½ teaspoons granulated sugar – $0.02
- 1 teaspoon sea salt – $0.04
- 2-3 Tablespoons water – $0.00
- ¾ cup granulated sugar – $0.12
- 1 envelope powdered gelatin, unflavored – $0.50
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice – $0.13
- 15 oz can pumpkin puree – $2.49
- 3 large eggs – $0.69
- ½ cup whole milk – $0.09
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar – $0.08
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream – $1.17
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
How to make Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
- First, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt.
- Then, grate the frozen butter into the flour mixture.
- Next, add the water, one tablespoon at a time until the dough starts to come together.
- Knead until the desired dough texture is reached and then form a disk.
- Wrap the disc in plastic wrap and refrigerate for thirty to sixty minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll it out to about 1/8” thick.
- Drop it into a 9” pie dish and flute the edges.
- Blind bake the crust for twenty minutes with pie weights and then remove them and bake for another five to ten minutes. Allow the crust to cool completely.
- Next, make the pumpkin layer by whisking together the sugar, gelatin, pumpkin pie spice, and salt to a medium saucepan.
- Using another bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, egg yolks, and milk until smooth.
- Then, pour the mixture into the saucepan and whisk together with the sugar mixture.
- Bring the mixture to a bubble for four to five minutes, then remove it from the heat and allow it to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat together the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Fold the pumpkin mixture into the egg whites with a soft spatula. Let the filling chill in the fridge for at least six hours.
- Next, beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Decorate the top of the pie with the whipped cream.
- Finally, dust the top of the pie with pumpkin pie spice before slicing and serving.
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Instead of making a homemade pie crust, you can use a store-bought one.
- You can make a graham cracker crust or gingersnap crust instead of the homemade traditional pie crust in this recipe.
SERVE: Serve the pie with whipped cream. You can keep the pie out for 60-90 minutes before you need to pop it back in the refrigerator.
STORE: Once decorated, store the pumpkin chiffon pie in the refrigerator. It will be good for up to 5 days.
FREEZE: This pie will not freeze well so I do not recommend freezing it.
Unfortunately, it cannot be frozen because of the nature of using beaten egg whites in making a chiffon pie.
A chiffon pie uses gelatin to help keep the pie filling firm, but the most distinguishing part of the pie is the addition of whipped egg whites that are folded into the pie filling. It makes the pie lighter and airier.
- Buttermilk Pie
- Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Spice Macarons
- Pecan Pie Bars with Shortbread Crust
- Pumpkin Panna Cotta
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Dump Cake
- Apple Dump Cake
- Pumpkin Delight
- Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
- ½ cup unsalted butter (frozen for 30 minutes)
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt divided
- 2-3 Tablespoons cold water
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 envelope powdered gelatin unflavored
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs separated
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup heavy cream whipped
- Pumpkin pie spice optional
MAKE PIE CRUST:
- Add the flour, 1 ½ teaspoons sugar, and ½ teaspoon salt to a medium mixing bowl. Whisk to mix.
- Take the stick of the frozen butter and grate it into the flour mixture. Stir frequently so that the butter doesn’t clump.
- Add the water, a tablespoon at a time, until the dough starts to come together.
- Knead for a minute to ensure a good pie dough texture, then form a disk.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.
BAKE PIE CRUST:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll it out (to about 1/8” thick).
- Drop it into a 9” pie dish, then flute the edges to form a pretty shape (it also helps keep the dough in place while baking.
- Blind bake the pie crust for 20 minutes (using pie weights or whatever you use), then remove and continue to bake for 5-10 minutes.
- Finally, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool completely.
MAKE PUMPKIN LAYER::
- Add sugar, gelatin, pumpkin pie spice, and salt to a medium saucepan. Whisk to mix well.
- Add the pumpkin puree, egg yolks, and milk to another bowl. Whisk until smooth, then pour into the saucepan with the sugar mixture. Whisk well, and then turn the burner to medium heat.
- Bring it to a bubble, and then keep it bubbling for about 4-5 minutes. Then, remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine egg whites and cream of tartar.
- Beat until soft peaks form.
- Fold the cooled pumpkin mixture into the egg whites using a soft spatula. Fold carefully until combined.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into the cooled pie crust and smooth into an even layer.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours, overnight preferably.
MAKE WHIPPED CREAM:
- Beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- Decorate the top of the pie with whipped cream as you please.
- Dust the top of the pie with pumpkin pie spice (optional).
- Slice and serve.