Apple cider, cherry juice, orange juice, and warm winter spices like cinnamon, cloves, and star anise make this the best warm Christmas Kinderpunsch recipe!
This crockpot Kinderpunsch recipe serves eight and costs about $6.12 to make, which is only $0.77 per serving. For more fun drinks to serve during the holidays, check out this White Hot Chocolate and this Non-Alcoholic Christmas Punch.
Last year I attended my first ever European Christmas Markets. We went to markets in Reims, France; Budapest, Hungary; Bratislava, Slovakia; Vienna, Austria; and Prague, Czechia. Being a non-drinker, my favorite hot beverages to get at Christmas markets are hot apple cider and Kinderpunsch!
I didn’t taste Kinderpunsch until last winter, but I fell in love with the stuff! It’s a nice departure from cider, and I love the sweet flavor that the cherry juice gives it.
Kinder Punch is nicely spiced with cinnamon, cloves, and star anise, but the surprise ingredient that sets this hot beverage apart is the herbal hibiscus tea, YUM!
As soon as I got back from my trip, I made it for my family, and everyone LOVED it! It’s something different besides the traditional hot chocolate or hot apple cider that’s usually served at Christmas time! My kids especially loved the sweet and tart cherry juice in the Kinderpunsch.
Another great hot beverage is this honey lemon drink. It’s especially handy once cold and flu season rolls around.
How to make Kinderpunsch:
STEP ONE: First, pour the liquids into the slow cooker. Be sure to use a large slow cooker.
STEP TWO: Next, add the cloves, cinnamon sticks, and star anise to the liquid. Cook on high for three hours or low for six hours. Then, add the tea bags while draping the strings over the side of the slow cooker. Let the tea bags steep for fifteen minutes. Add sugar to taste.
STEP THREE: Finally, keep the slow cooker on warm until ready to serve. Garnish with cinnamon sticks, orange slices, or star anise and enjoy!
Cook’s Note – Kinderpunch:
- You can keep this punch on warm in your slow cooker for up to 24 hours. At hour 12, the punch may become a bit too concentrated. I sometimes add a cup of water around this time.
- If you can’t find cherry juice, then try pomegranate juice.
- I like to keep the whole cloves in a stainless steel tea diffuser so they don’t end up in my cup.
How much will this recipe cost to make:
RECIPE COST: $6.12
PER SERVING COST: $0.77
NOTE: The Kinderpunsch recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- 2 cups apple cider – $0.80
- 3 cinnamon sticks – $1.02
- 2 cups cherry juice – $2.56
- 4 bags herbal hibiscus tea caffeine-free – $0.36
- 2 cups orange juice – $0.76
- 2 cups water – $0.00
- 10 whole cloves – $0.14
- 2 whole star anise – $0.48
More Holiday Favorite Recipe:
- Christmas Divinity Candy
- Soft Gingerbread Cookies
- Gingerbread Oreo Truffles
- Andes Mint Cheesecake Dip
- Christmas Ham with Cherry Glaze
- Gingerbread Cheesecake Dip
- Chewy Gingerbread Bars
- Goat Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- Cranberry Bliss Bars
- Spiced Creme Brulee
- Cranberry Chicken Salad
- Christmas Cranberry Fluff Salad
- 2 cups apple cider
- 2 cups cherry juice
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2 cups water
- 10 whole cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 whole star anise
- 4 bags herbal hibiscus tea caffeine-free
- granulated sugar to taste
- cinnamon sticks
- orange slices
- star anise
- Pour in the apple cider, cherry juice, orange juice, and water into a large slow cooker.
- Add the cloves, cinnamon sticks, and star anise. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or LOW for 6 hours.
- Add the tea bags, draping the strings over the side of the slow cooker. Cover and let the tea bags steep for 15 minutes before removing them. Taste the Kinderpunsch and add sugar to taste (I suggest starting with 1 tablespoon at a time).
- Keep the slow cooker on WARM until ready to serve. Ladle Kinderpunsch into heat-resistant mugs and garnish with cinnamon sticks, orange slices, or star anise (all optional).