THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
Take the humble hot dog to the next level with this Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs recipe. Both baking and grilling instructions are included in this recipe! This recipe serves 8 and costs just 58¢ per serving!
Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dogs
Hot dogs are a summertime staple. They’re also a must for grilling and tailgating. I decided to take my hot dog game to the next level by wrapping them in BACON! Not only does bacon heighten the savory flavor of the hot dog, but it also makes an irresistible crispy outer coating!
Below you’ll find the recipe instructions for both the oven and grill!
Is your mouth watering yet?
My favorite way to eat these hot dogs is with lettuce and chopped tomato to make a BLT Hot Dog!
If you’re serving these for a cookout this summer, then I highly suggest serving my Slow Cooker Boston Baked Beans with them!
How many calories are in a bacon-wrapped hot dog?
My recipe has 321 calories per hot dog. This includes the hot dog, bacon, and the bun.
How long do hot dogs take to grill?
They take about 7-10 minutes on a grill preheated to medium-high heat.
How do you make a hot dog dangerous?
This question sounds like the beginning of a joke, doesn’t it? All kidding aside, danger dogs originated in Mexico and were made popular in Los Angels as street food. The L.A. Times even calls them L.A.’s most iconic street food. They are hot dogs that are wrapped in a thin piece of bacon. They’re grilled or fried and then topped with various toppings like sautéed onions and bell pepper, ketchup, mustard, mayo, and cilantro. Not surprising, these hot dogs can also be called “heart attack dogs” or “dirty dogs”.
How hot should grill be for hot dogs?
The grill should be pretty hot, not in the highest setting but pretty close. If you cook hot dogs on a grill that is not hot enough, you run the risk of them getting tough and dried out.
How much will this bacon-wrapped hot dog recipe cost?
RECIPE COST: $4.62
COST PER SERVING: $0.58
NOTE: The recipe prices are used calculating name brand products from Walmart’s website. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what your pantry is already stocked with and current grocery prices.
- 1 package hot dogs (8) $0.98
- 8 slices bacon $1.66
- 8 hot dog buns $1.98
Cook’s Note – Bacon Wrapped Hot Dog:
- This recipe can double, triple, quadruple, etc nicely.
- Up to 16 hot dogs can fit on one wire rack set over a standard-sized baking sheet.
- BONUS: If you really want to make your cholesterol skyrocket, then deep fry these them to make what street vendors in Mexico call “Danger Dogs”.
More Grilling Recipes:
- Grilled BBQ Chicken
- Carne Asada Street Tacos
- Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burgers
- Grilled Pineapple
- Homemade Grilled Teriyaki Chicken
- Grilled Hawaiian Chicken
- Grilled Steak Marsala
- Thai Chicken
- Grilled Spinach Artichoke Flatbread Pizza
- Grilled Game Hens
How to Make Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dogs:
Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dogs – 2 WAYS!
FOR HOT DOGS:
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 slices bacon
- 8 hot dog buns toasted
- Caramelized onions
- Move oven rack to middle position and preheat to 375°F. Place a wire rack on baking sheet and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Score the ends of each hot dog with a knife to make an X on both ends. Using 1 hot dog and 1 slice of bacon, wrap hot dog. Pin each end of bacon to a hot dog with a toothpick. Place on a wire rack and repeat with remaining hot dogs and bacon.
- Bake for 15 minutes, and then flip hot dogs and bake another 10-15 minutes, or until bacon is cooked through and crisp.
- Remove toothpicks and place hot dogs on toasted buns. Cover with toppings of your choice, and serve.
GAS GRILL INSTRUCTIONS:
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Once grill comes up to temperature, scrape grill to clean.
- While grill preheats, using 1 hot dog and 1 slice of bacon, wrap hot dog. Pin each end of bacon to a hot dog with a toothpick. Place on a plate and repeat with remaining hot dogs and bacon.
- Grill 7-10 minutes, or until bacon is crisp and hot dog is heated through, turning occasionally. Remove hot dogs from the grill, and remove toothpicks and place hot dogs on toasted buns. Cover with toppings of your choice, and serve.