Tater Tot Casserole is one of those classic comfort food dishes that everyone loves. This Tater Tot Casserole is so cheesy and infused with zesty Tex-Mex flavors.
This post for Cheesy Tex-Mex Tater Tot Casserole Recipe includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy the item after clicking my link. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep this blog running on butter…lots of butter!
I don’t know if it’s the crispy bites of potato or the creamy, cheesy interior of this casserole that keeps it in constant dinner rotation at my house. My family loves the big, bold Tex-Mex flavors and I love how easy it is to whip together!
Cook’s Note – Cheesy Tex-Mex Tater Tot Casserole Recipe:
- Leftovers can be kept covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Instead of ground beef, you can use shredded rotisserie chicken.
- Instead of canned black beans, you can use canned pinto beans or kidney beans.
Cook’s Tools – Cheesy Tex-Mex Tater Tot Casserole:
ONE YEAR AGO: Thai Basil Beef
TWO YEARS AGO: Philly Cheesesteak Dip
THREE YEARS AGO: 10 Best Valentine’s Day Free Fonts
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- 3 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 32 oz bag tater tots
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- diced avocado
- sliced green onions
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add ground beef, onion, and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently until meat is cooked through and onions are translucent about 8 minutes. Stir in taco seasoning and water, and cook until liquid is reduced and thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in frozen corn, black beans, sour cream, salsa, and cheddar cheese until combined and no sour cream streaks remain and then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour half of the tater tots into the bottom of the prepared baking dish, and top with ground beef mixture. Sprinkle 1 cup shredded cheese over top, followed by the rest of tater tots.
- Bake for 40 minutes, and then top with remaining 1 cup shredded cheese, and bake 5-10 more minutes, or until bubbly and tater tots on top of casserole are golden.
Makes 8 servings.