This Slow Cooker Ham Chowder recipe is creamy, cheesy and so easy to make. It’s a great way to turn leftover ham into a comforting weeknight dinner!
Looking for more slow cooker recipes?
- Sausage and Peppers
- Baked Ziti
- Taco Soup
- Hawaiian Haystacks
- Root Beer Pulled Pork
- Boston Baked Beans
- Kielbasa Kapusta
Cook’s Note – Ham Chowder:
- Leftover chowder can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- You can add more vegetables to this chowder like carrots and corn. JUst add them to the slow cooker during step 1 of the recipe below.
- If you don’t have leftover ham in your refrigerator, then you can buy a couple of precooked ham steaks and cut them into cubes for this slow cooker ham chowder recipe.
Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links.
Cook’s Tools – Slow Cooker Ham Chowder:
- 8 cups russet potatoes 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups cubed ham cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 medium onion yellow, white or red
- 1/2 cup celery 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups milk anything but skim
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Add the potatoes, ham, chicken stock, onion, celery, garlic, salt, and pepper to a large (at least 6 quart) slow cooker. Give everything a good stir, and then over and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or HIGH for 4-5 hours.
- In a small bowl whisk together the milk and cornstarch until combined and no lumps remain. Add the milk to the slow cooker and stir until combined. Cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 20 minutes or until the chowder is thickened. Then, turn off the heat and stir in the cheese and sour cream until the cheese is melted and there are no streaks of sour cream.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with extra shredded cheese.
This post first appeared on FFF on October 31, 2010. I have since updated the pictures and the original is below.
Latest posts by Jillian (see all)
- The New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe - August 19, 2019
- How to Reheat Quiche Tutorial - August 17, 2019
- Easy Broccoli Quiche Recipe – less than $5.00 to make! - August 17, 2019