Disclosure: This post for Sausage & Butter Bean Soup – a Quick & Easy Recipe includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy the item after clicking my link. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep this blog running on butter…lots of butter!
Sausage & Butter Bean Soup
Today I’m sharing one of my favorite soup recipes for #SouperJanuary! This Sausage & Butter Bean Soup has been in my soup rotation since having it at my cousin’s house over 10 years ago! It’s SO good, and full of flavor. Something you don’t typically get in a quick & easy soup recipe. Sausage & Butter Bean Soup is my hubby’s favorite soup to eat when he’s sick, I usually use all hot Italian sausage which helps to open the sinuses.
About Butter Beans
If you haven’t tried butter beans before, this soup is a fabulous way to first have them. Butter beans are basically big, white, lima beans that are SO creamy. Where they differ from lima beans is in taste. Butter Beans are more mild in flavor, and even have a buttery taste after cooking them. They are so tender that they almost melt in your mouth, a lot like butter.
They’re high in vitamin C, vitamin A, and thiamine, and they are a good source of protein. Also, they are very low in calories and fat.
To make this Sausage & Butter Bean Soup into a healthy one, skip the cheese when serving and use Italian sausage made with chicken instead of pork. I have seen chicken Italian sausage at stores like Costco and Sprouts (where I get mine).
Cook’s Note for Sausage & Butter Bean Soup:
This soup uses both hot and sweet Italian sausage. If you don’t care for one of the sausages, feel free to double up on the kind you do like.
My Sour Cream Cornbread recipe rounds out this meal perfectly. It’s another great quick & easy recipe. Make both the soup and cornbread and dinner will be on the table in about 30 minutes!
Look for canned butter beans on the bean aisle (I find they’re usually on the top shelf). They are also sometimes hidden on the “soul food” or southern food shelves.
Sausage & Butter Bean Soup
- 1/2 pound hot Italian sausage casings removed
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage casings removed
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 14- ounce can diced tomatoes UN-drained
- 1 14- ounce can butter beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15- ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded cheese for serving I like Monterey Jack
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat cook the sausage until browned and cooked through; about 5-8 minutes. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- While the sausage cooks, in a large stockpot over medium heat add the onion, and sauté until opaque and the edges start to brown; about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant; 30-60 seconds.
- Add the chicken stock, diced tomatoes, butter beans, black beans, and carrots. Increase heat to high and bring to a low boil; add the sausage, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with shredded cheese (optional).
Need a new stockpot?
Enter my Le Creuset GIVEAWAY!
Hungry for more soup recipes?
Check out my most popular soup recipes!