The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This Butter Bean Soup is a quick and easy recipe in just 30 minutes! It’s a hearty soup loaded with Italian sausage, perfect for cooler weather.
It costs approximately $12.32 to make this recipe. The recipe makes five servings for about $2.46 per serving.
My Sour Cream Cornbread recipe rounds out this meal perfectly.
Butter Bean Soup
This Sausage and Butter Bean Soup has been in my soup rotation since having it at my cousin’s house over 20 years ago! It’s SO good and full of flavor. Something you don’t typically get in a quick and easy soup recipe.
This soup is both nourishing and flavorful. The brothy soup is full of beans, sausage, and vegetables, making for a dynamite flavor combo.
It is a great way to add more beans and veggies to your diet while feeling satisfied after eating a bowl. Sausage and Butter Bean soup works well as a light lunch or a filling dinner any night of the week.
This soup is my favorite to eat when I am sick. I typically use all hot Italian sausage, which helps to open the sinuses.
If you haven’t tried butter beans before, this soup is a fabulous way to first have them. Butter beans are basically big, white, lima beans that are SO creamy.
Where they differ from lima beans is in taste. Butter Beans are milder in flavor, and even have a buttery taste after cooking them. They are so tender that they almost melt in your mouth, a lot like butter.
They’re high in vitamin C, vitamin A, and thiamine, and they are a good source of protein. Also, they are very low in calories and fat.
Ingredients and Estimated Cost
Per Serving Cost: $2.46
Recipe Cost: $12.32
- ½ pound hot Italian sausage – $1.74
- ½ pound sweet Italian sausage – $3.50
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil – $0.08
- 1 small onion – $0.70
- 2 large garlic cloves – $0.08
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock – $2.98
- 14-ounce can diced tomatoes – $0.64
- 15.5 ounce can butter beans – $1.48
- 15-ounce can black beans – $0.72
- 1 cup shredded carrots – $0.40
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
How To Make This Butter Bean Soup Recipe
- First, brown the sausage in a large non-stick skillet. Once browned, drain sausage on a paper towel lined plate.
- While the sauce is browning, saute the onion in a large stockpot over medium heat. Then, add the garlic and cook for another 30-60 seconds.
- Next, add the chicken stock, diced tomatoes, butter beans, black beans, and carrots. Bring the mixture to a low boil.
- Add the sausage and simmer for ten minutes.
- Finally, season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with shredded cheese.
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- This soup uses both hot and sweet Italian sausage. If you don’t care for one of the sausages, feel free to double up on the kind you do like.
- To make this Sausage and Butter Bean Soup into a healthy one, skip the cheese when serving and use Italian sausage made with chicken instead of pork. I have seen chicken Italian sausage at stores like Costco and Sprouts.
SERVE: Serve the soup with shredded Monterey Jack cheese and cornbread. You can keep the soup our for no more than two hours before it needs to be covered and refrigerated.
STORE: Place the soup in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
FREEZE: Once the soup is cooled, place it in a freezer-safe container and freeze for 1-2 months.
THAW: Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or for 3-5 hours at room temperature.
REHEAT: Reheat in a saucepan over medium heat until heated through.
More Quick and Easy Recipes
- Ground Turkey Tacos with Sweet Potato
- Pumpkin Sausage Pasta
- Easy Baked Chicken and Zucchini
- Boiled Chicken Drumsticks
- Greek Pasta
- Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Thai Peanut Noodles
- Easy Sausage Gumbo
- Easy Chicken Barley Soup
- Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup
Butter Bean Soup
- ½ pound hot Italian sausage casings removed
- ½ pound sweet Italian sausage casings removed
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes UN-drained
- 14 ounce can butter beans rinsed and drained
- 15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded cheese for serving I like Monterey Jack
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat cook the sausage until browned and cooked through; about 5-8 minutes.
- Remove sausage from the pan with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- While the sausage cooks, in a large pot over medium heat add the onion, and sauté until opaque and the edges start to brown; about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant; 30-60 seconds.
- Add the chicken stock, diced tomatoes, butter beans, black beans, and carrots to the pot.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a low boil; add the sausage, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with shredded cheese (optional).