Once the weather becomes cool there’s one food that I always crave, soup! Creamy, velvety and chock-full of vegetables is where it’s at for me. I love the sweet simplicity of soup and its one of my favorite meals to prepare on Sunday afternoons while I indulge in family time.
The slightly sweet layer the yams bring to the savory base of the soup is quite lovely. It’s heart-warming. It’s comforting. It’s delicious.
Feel free to substitute sweet potatoes or potatoes for the yams.
This soup is great served with crusty bread, biscuits, or my personal favorite, bread bowls.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, copped
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 6 Cups chicken broth
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 large yam, diced
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into florets
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- ½ cup butter
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 Cups milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- shredded cheese
- Add the olive oil to a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Saute the onions, celery, and garlic until the onions are lightly browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, yams and carrots. Increase the heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the yams and carrots are tender (but not mushy), about 15-20 minutes.
- While the vegetables simmer, prepare the white sauce. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and whisk constantly until the flour is incorporated and the mixture turns a light brown, about 1-2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk and continue to whisk until combined and smooth. Bring to a simmer and cook until the mixture thickens and turns velvety, about 5-8 minutes.
- Once the sauce thickens and the vegetables are tender, add the white sauce to the vegetables. Stir to combine. Add in the broccoli and parsley and cover the soup. Let the soup cook until the broccoli is tender but NOT mushy, about 5-10 minutes.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper. Give it one final stir and serve with shredded cheese and parsley to garnish.
I’m linking this post up at:
Menu Plan Monday , Skip to My Lou, Sumo’s Sweet Stuff, Show & Tell, Lil’ Luna, Live, Laugh, Rowe, Somewhat Simple, Tidy Mom, 504 Main, The Best Blog Recipes, WhipperBerry, All Our Days, Tatertots and Jell-O, Lolly Jane,I Heart Naptime, Flamingo Toes, Uncommon Designs, The 36th Avenue, Funky Junk Interiors, Sugar Bee Crafts, Someday Crafts, A Glimpse Inside, Today’s Creative Blog, The Idea Room, 30 Handmade Days, The 36th Avenue