This Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup is a winter classic. It’s some serious comfort food, and perfect for busy weeknights.
Disclosure: This Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup recipe includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy an item after clicking my link. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep this blog running on butter…lots of butter! See the rest of Food Folks and Fun’s disclosure policy here.
This Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup is a winter classic that evokes memories of the simple yet tasty cooking of generations past. The garnishes (shredded white cheddar cheese, green onion and sour cream) add the final pop of flavor, especially the bacon! Be careful– when my kids are in the kitchen the bacon has a habit of disappearing if I don’t keep a close eye on it. 😉
This Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup would be ah-mazing in these bread bowls!
Cook’s Note – Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup:
- If you don’t have an immersion blender, then in step 4 you can puree the soup in batches in a blender. *Make sure you hold the lid on the blender extremely tight!
- Leftover will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Cook’s Tools – Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup:
ONE YEAR AGO: Mexican Spinach Dip
TWO YEARS AGO: Copycat Honey Wheat Bushman Bread
THREE YEARS AGO: Waldorf Chicken Salad Wraps
Slow Cooker Baked Potato SoupPrint Pin Rate
- 8 slices bacon chopped
- 2 medium yellow onions chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 pounds Red Bliss potatoes peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces white sharp cheddar cheese shredded (2 cups)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh green onions or fresh chives
- Sour cream
- In large saucepan over medium heat cook bacon until crispy, 8-10 minutes. Use slotted spoon to move bacon to paper towel-lined plate and refrigerate until soup is ready to serve. Remove all but 2 tablespoons of bacon fat from pot.
- Add onions to pot and cook until lightly browned and softened, 7-9 minutes. Mix in garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Pour in broth, and scrape up any browned bits from bottom of pot. Bring mixture to boil over high heat.
- Add potatoes and 1 ½ teaspoons salt to slow cooker. Pour hot broth mixture over potatoes, and stir to combine. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender, 5-6 hours on high, or 6-7 hours on low.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add cheddar and whisk it into soup until melted. Whisk in cream, green onion, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Season with salt to taste.
- Reheat bacon in microwave until hot and crispy, about 30-60 seconds. Garnish soup with bacon, sour cream, and cheddar cheese. Serve.