This Corn Chowder recipe is bursting with corn flavor. It’s creamy without being heavy, and absolutely perfect for soup season!
While growing up in Connecticut, every summer and fall family celebration included delicious corn on the cob from our local orchard. Here in Arizona, the only corn that’s grown locally is for livestock consumption…definitely not appetizing. So, frozen corn it is while I live in Arizona.
Even though this Corn Chowder recipe uses frozen versus fresh corn, the chowder brings out the best in the corn. My husband, who doesn’t like soup for dinner because it isn’t filling, said that this soup was refreshingly hearty and filled you up as a good stew would.
Cook’s Note – Corn Chowder:
- You can use frozen or fresh corn for this recipe. If you use fresh corn stripped from the cob, just make sure it’s good quality.
Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links.
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion chopped fine
- 4 slices bacon about 4 ounces, halved lengthwise then cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups water
- 7 cups frozen corn
- 1 pound red potatoes cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 ¼ cups half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Melt butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion, bacon, thyme, 1 ½ teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper; cook, stirring often, until onions are softened and edges begin to brown, about 8 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Gradually add water while whisking constantly, and bring to boil. Add corn and potatoes and return to simmer; reduce heat to medium-low and cook until potatoes are tender, 15-18 minutes.
- Ladle 3 cups chowder into blender and blend until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Pour pureed chowder back into pot, add half-and-half, and heat until simmer. Take chowder off heat, add sugar, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with basil and serve.
More Delicious Soup and Chowder Recipes:
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Soup
- Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- Slow Cooker Clam Chowder
- Easy Vegetable Chowder
Latest posts by Jillian (see all)
- Carrot and Parsnip Galette with Goat Cheese - December 12, 2019
- Hanging Gingerbread Cookie Recipe - December 11, 2019
- Cranberry Chicken Salad with Pecans for Sandwiches - December 9, 2019