The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
With this Air Fryer Grilled Cheese recipe, there’s no more babysitting a pan. Instead, you’ll get buttery, crisp sandwiches with gooey, stretchy cheese every time.
This recipe costs approximately $2.73 to make. The recipe makes two servings for about $1.36 per sandwich.
I love to eat these sandwiches with a warm bowl of Easy Tomato Soup with Basil.
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
You may be thinking, why is there a recipe for grilled cheese? Isn’t it just cheese, butter, and bread?
The answer is yes, but achieving the perfect grilled cheese sandwich can be tricky! So, I am sharing my favorite way to make a grilled cheese sandwich to get that ideal ratio of toasted bread to melty cheese proportions.
The secret is the Air Fryer. This hands-off approach is the best way to achieve perfect Grilled Cheese Sandwiches every single time.
The toasty bread gets golden brown and remains sturdy yet soft. At the same time, the cheese melts enough to give you those glorious cheese pulls without getting greasy. As a result, the sandwich is buttery without being soggy.
Once you try making Grilled cheese in the Air Fryer, you will never make it any other way again!
Ingredients and Estimated Cost
Per Serving Cost: $1.36
Recipe Cost: $2.73
- 4 slices sourdough bread – $0.56
- 4 ounces mild cheddar cheese – $0.64
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack Cheese – $1.11
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter – $0.42
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The recipe cost is calculated by the amounts needed for the recipe. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have. I updated the pricing for this recipe in February 2023.
How To Make Grilled Cheese In An Air Fryer
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- First, preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees F for five minutes.
- Then, spread the butter on one side of each piece of bread.
- Next, turn over two slices of bread and top with ½ cup of each grated cheese.
- Top with the remaining bread slices, butter side up.
- Slightly press the sandwiches together and then place them in the Air Fryer basket.
- Finally, cook the sandwiches for five minutes, then flip them over and cook for three more minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- If you don’t like or don’t have cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack, you can use Havarti, Swiss, Muenster, Provolone, Pepper Jack, American, or Goat cheese!
- Instead of butter, you can use olive oil or avocado oil.
SERVE: You’ll want to eat them immediately after com. Serve immediately once they come out of the air fryer, because they cool down rather fast. You can keep them out for about an hour before they need to be refrigerated.
STORE: Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for about 24 hours. They’ll be a little soggy and won’t be as crisp.
REHEAT: Re-crisp by placing in a pan over low heat for 4-6 minutes or you can stick them back in the air fryer for 1-2 minutes.
FREEZE: If you’re going to freeze these, I recommend freezing them before they’re cooked. Place them on a baking sheet and freeze until frozen solid, about 2 hours. Then, transfer the sandwiches to a freezer-safe bag. You can keep them in the freezer like this for 2-3 months.
Yes! This may be my favorite thing about the air fryer and possibly the best-kept secret. The air fryer can do so much more than heat up frozen items. For example, in minutes, a grilled cheese sandwich is toasted to perfection in the Air Fryer.
I do not recommend putting tin foil at the bottom of the air fryer for this recipe. It will block the airflow, causing the bread not to toast evenly.
Cooking spray is not needed for this recipe. Many recommend not using cooking spray in an air fryer at all. With the butter on the outside pieces of the sandwich, cooking spray is not needed in the air fryer for these grilled cheese sandwiches.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Pierogies
- Air Fryer French Toast Sticks
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Steak Bites
- Air Fryer Potato Pancakes
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters
- Air Fryer Hard-Boiled Eggs
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices sourdough bread or another good crusty bread
- 4 ounces about 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, grated **see notes
- 4 ounces about 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, grated, or your favorite
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat Air Fryer to 360 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Spread butter on one side of all the pieces of bread.
- Turn over two slices of bread and pile about ½ cup of each grated cheese.
- Top with remaining bread with the butter side up.
- Press the sandwiches together slightly.
- Place the sandwiches in the Air Fryer basket, cook for 5 minutes at 360 degrees F, flip over, and continue cooking for 3 minutes or until golden brown and crispy **see notes.
- Serve immediately.
- You can also use cheese slices or shredded packaged cheese.
- Cooking times may vary with different Air Fryers.
ENTER YOUR NAME AND EMAIL AND GET MY DELICIOUS WEEKLY NEWSLETTER... IT'S FREE!
Love how quickly these sandwiches come together. And making them in the air fryer saves so much time.
A recipe to keep and use over and over again. Thanks for sharing!!
This is ultimate comfort food on a cold and snowy day where I live. Thank you for a great recipe!
The cheese combination in this easy air fryer griled cheese sounds marvelous. It’s a perfect sandwich.
I never would have thought to make grilled cheese in the air fryer. So quick, easy, gooey, and delicious!
Perfection! Gooey cheese with just the right amount of crunch on the bread. Thanks for sharing!