Disclosure: This post for Grilled Steak Marsala has been compensated by Holland House Cooking Wine. As always, all opinions are mine alone.
This Grilled Steak Marsala recipe is bursting with flavor and boasts a subtle sweetness. It’s great for quick and easy meals and entertaining.
This recipe makes eight servings and costs approximately $31.92. That works out to be around $3.99 per serving.
I love that this Grilled Steak Marsala recipe is easy enough for busy weeknights but dressed up enough for entertaining! It’s one of my family’s favorite grilling recipes because it’s bursting with flavor!
I love using Holland House Cooking Wines in my recipes because they enhance any dish. For example, sometimes grilled meat can lack flavor, but not when I use Holland House Cooking Wines to marinate my steak. I like using the Marsala cooking wine because it adds a subtle sweetness to the steak that’s simply irresistible!
Ingredients and Estimated Cost
Per Serving Cost: $3.99
Recipe Cost: $31.92
- 1 ½ cup Holland House Marsala Cooking Wine – $2.40
- 4 ounce can tomato paste – $0.48
- 2 medium shallots – $0.14
- 10 large garlic cloves – $0.50
- 1 Tablespoon salt – $0.03
- 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary – $0.36
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme – $0.10
- 2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper – $0.14
- (2) – 1 ½ pounds Tri-Tip steaks – $23.46
- 3 Tablespoons butter – $0.33
- 16 ounces white button mushrooms – $3.98
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
How To Make Steak Marsala
- First, whisk together the marinade ingredients in a large measuring cup until combined. Then pour half of the marinade into a 9×13-inch pan and add the steaks. Pour the remaining marinade over the steaks and cover tightly with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least four hours.
- Preheat the grill for fifteen minutes, and then place the steaks in the middle of the grill to cook for six to seven minutes per side.
- Once the steaks are done cooking, remove them from the grill and cover them loosely with foil.
- Next, make the Marsala Mushrooms by first melting the butter in a large skillet. Add the mushrooms and cook for about five minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the sauce has thickened.
- Finally, slice the steak against the grain and smother it with the marsala mushrooms before serving.
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
SERVE: You can keep the steaks out for about an hour before they need to be covered and refrigerated.
STORE: Keep leftovers in a covered container for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
FREEZE: Wrap the steak in two layers of plastic wrap and foil. Then place it in a freezer-safe Ziploc bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Next, thaw the steak and then follow the reheating directions below.
REHEAT: Place the steak on a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet to reheat the cooked steak. Place in a 250-degree oven for about 20-30, or until the internal temperature reaches 100-110 degrees F.
My recipe for marsala sauce uses Marsala cooking wine, tomato paste, shallots, garlic cloves, salt, rosemary, thyme, and pepper. After using this mixture as the steak marinade, cook the remaining marinade until it thickens into a sauce to pour over the steak.
It is slightly sweet with a nutty flavor that enhances any grilled meat.
More Grilling Recipes
- Grilled Boneless Chicken Thighs
- Italian Sausage Burgers
- Grilled Chicken Skewers
- Grilled Steak Kabobs
- Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dogs
- Grilled BBQ Chicken
- Carne Asada Street Tacos
- Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burgers
- Carne Asada Street Tacos
- Easy Cilantro Thai Chicken
Grilled Steak Marsala
- 1 ½ cup Holland House Marsala Cooking Wine
- 4 oz can tomato paste
- 2 medium shallots minced
- 10 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
STEAK AND MUSHROOM TOPPING:
- 2 (1 ½ pound) tri tip steaks
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 16 oz white button mushrooms sliced
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together marinade ingredients until combined. Pour half of the marinade into a 9 x 13-inch pan, add steaks, and pour the remaining marinade over the steaks. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- 15 minutes before grilling, preheat the grill to high. Remove tri-tip steaks from marinade and reserve marinade.
- Place steaks in the middle of hot grill and cook 6-7 minutes per side. Remove steaks once they have reached desired doneness, and tent steaks with foil.
MAKE MARSALA MUSHROOMS:
- While the steaks rest, make Marsala mushrooms. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When butter is melted, add mushrooms and cook, often stirring, until mushrooms release most of their liquid, about 5 minutes.
- Add reserved marinade to pan and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until sauce has thickened, about 5-8 more minutes.
- Slice steak against the grain, smother with marsala mushrooms, and serve.