THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
These Crockpot Shredded Chicken Tacos are my go-to weeknight dinner. They’re juicy, flavorful, and SO easy to make.
This recipe makes six servings for $4.06. That works out to be $0.68 per serving.
Crockpot Shredded Chicken
Taco nights made easy with this shredded chicken recipe. The crockpot does the work for you! Toss the ingredients into the slow cooker, and six hours later, you will have perfectly flavored shredded chicken for tacos.
- Enchiladas: My favorite recipe is for my New Mexico-Style Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas.
- Loaded nachos: I layer mine with shredded chicken from the recipe below, queso blanco dip, green chile pinto beans, honey-lime chipotle salsa, and guacamole.
- Chicken chili: My 30-minute white chicken chili recipe is my all-time favorite.
- Mexican soups: Use this shredded chicken in my 20-minute chicken taco soup, Mexican tortilla soup, and chicken enchilada soup.
- Burritos: Layer your burrito with the shredded chicken below, Mexican rice, refried beans, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, and tomatillo salsa.
Can you put raw chicken straight into a slow cooker?
It is safe to place raw chicken directly into a slow cooker. The chicken will release liquid during the cooking process, which results in moist chicken pieces. And less work for you to defrost it first!
Do you have to flip chicken in a slow cooker?
No, you do not need to flip the chicken during the cooking process. In fact, you do not want to open the lid as it releases the steam and humidity that builds up inside the slow cooker and will alter the cooking time.
Is it better to slow cook on high or low?
While you can cook the chicken on high for 3 hours, I don’t suggest it. I find the chicken is a little rubbery when cooked quickly. When it’s cooked low and slow, the juices penetrate the meat more and make it SO succulent!
How to make Crockpot Shredded Chicken Tacos:
STEP ONE: First, mix the vinegar, juice, olive oil, sugar, salt, and pepper in a measuring cup.
STEP TWO: Next, place the chicken in the crockpot and pour the vinegar mixture over the chicken. Cover and cook on low for six hours.
STEP THREE: Finally, shred the chicken with forks and add seasonings. Cover and let rest for ten minutes before serving.
*NOTE: There’s a recipe video in the recipe card below!
How long is the shredded chicken good for:
SERVE: You can keep the finished chicken at room temperature for up to two hours before you’ll need to refrigerate it.
STORE: Store the shredded chicken in an airtight container for 4-5 days in the refrigerator.
FREEZE: Place the cooled, shredded chicken in a freezer-safe Ziploc bag for up to 6 months. I like to cook up 5 pounds of chicken and then freeze it, so I always have tasty shredded chicken on hand.
How much will this Crockpot Shredded Chicken Tacos recipe cost to make:
RECIPE COST: $4.06
PER SERVING COST: $0.68
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- ⅛ cup white vinegar or red wine vinegar – $0.13
- ⅛ cup lime or orange juice – $0.12
- 1 ½ pound skinless, boneless chicken breast – $2.98
- ⅛ cup olive oil – $0.74
- ½ teaspoon salt – $0.01
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper – $0.03
- 1 teaspoon white sugar – $0.01
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin – $0.01
- ½ teaspoon chili powder – $0.02
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder – $0.01
More Slow Cooker Recipes:
- Sausage and Peppers
- Beef Stew
- Whole Chicken
- Little Smokies
- Easy Crockpot Chili
- Boston Baked Beans
- Spare Ribs
- Cheesy Potatoes
- Tuscan White Bean Soup
- Kielbasa Kapusta
- Ham Chowder
- Honey Baked Ham
Crockpot Shredded Chicken Tacos
- 1 ½ pounds skinless boneless chicken breast frozen or thawed
- ⅛ cup white vinegar or red wine vinegar
- ⅛ cup lime juice or orange juice
- ⅛ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped (optional)
- hard taco shells
- flour tortillas
- corn tortillas
- shredded Mexican cheese
- shredded lettuce
- diced avocado
- lime wedges
- In a measuring cup, whisk together vinegar, juice, olive oil, sugar, salt, and pepper. Place chicken in Crockpot and pour vinegar mixture over chicken. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- Shred chicken with forks and then add cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and cilantro (if using). Cover slow cooker and let the meat rest for 10 minutes, and then serve with hard tacos shells, flour tortillas, or corn tortillas and the toppings of your choice.
- This recipe can be doubled and even tripled if your slow cooker can handle it. If tripling the recipe, increase the cooking time by 30 minutes. If you're doubling the recipe, there's no need to increase the cooking time.
- The nutrition information calculated below is just for the shredded chicken. It does not include tacho shells and toppings.