This Cranberry Jello Salad is a layered dessert made with raspberry Jello, whole cranberry sauce, homemade orange pudding, whipped cream, and topped with chopped pecans.
This recipe makes twelve servings for about $0.45 per serving. It costs $5.51 for the entire recipe.
As you can see, this dish isn’t a salad. It’s a dessert. I have no idea why it has “salad” in its name. If you know, let me know!
I love the bright, vibrant red color of the Jello. It contrasts with the pale orange whipped cream layer.
I use whipped cream instead of cream cheese (most other recipes use cream cheese) because I like the lighter taste of the whipped cream with the Jello.
The sweet and tangy flavors from the Jello layer are then topped with a fresh whipped cream and orange pudding mixture and then sprinkled with pecans.
Ingredients and Cost
Per Serving Cost: $0.45
Recipe Cost: $5.51
- 2 (3 oz) boxes raspberry gelatin – $1.04
- 2 cups boiling water – $0.00
- 14 oz can whole cranberry sauce – $0.94
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice – $0.08
- ½ cup granulated sugar – $0.12
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour – $0.06
- 1 egg – $0.10
- 1 cup orange juice – $0.38
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter – $0.20
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream – $1.17
- ½ cup chopped pecans – $1.42
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- First, spray a 13×9 glass dish with cooking spray and set it aside.
- Next, in a small bowl, combine gelatin in one cup of boiling water, stir until dissolved.
- In another bowl mix together the cranberry sauce and the other cup of boiling water.
- Add the gelatin mixture, lemon juice, and cranberry sauce mixture together. Stir together and pour into the prepared 13×9 glass dish. Set in the fridge to chill.
- Meanwhile, make the topping in a small saucepan by mixing together the sugar, flour, beaten egg, and orange juice. Whisk until a thick pudding forms.
- Stir in the butter until it is melted. Then remove from the heat and allow it to cool.
- Beat the whipping cream in the bowl of a stand mixer. Fold in the pudding mixture until combined.
- Finally, remove the jello layer from the fridge and spread the topping in an even layer. Sprinkle with chopped pecans then set in the fridge until ready to serve.
- You can substitute cranberry or cherry gelatin for the raspberry.
- Instead of whipping us fresh whipped cream, you can use two cups of Cool Whip.
- If I’m feeling fancy, I’ll top the dessert off with some of my Sugared Cranberries.
SERVE: You can keep this out for about two hours before it needs to be covered and refrigerated.
STORE: Cover and store in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.
FREEZE: Unfortunately, Jello does not freeze well so I do not recommend freezing this recipe.
- 13×9-inch glass dish
- Mixing bowls
- Liquid measuring cup
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Rubber scraper
Jello salad will stay fresh in the fridge if kept in an airtight container for about 5-7 days.
Jello does not freeze well. Freezing it will change the texture of the Jello and is not something I recommend doing.
You can put Jello in the freezer to set more quickly. However, I do not recommend this technique. It is not easy to tell exactly how long to leave it in the freezer, so if it is left too long, then you risk ruining the Jello. If you continue opening the door to check it, it will not set quickly, and therefore, defeats the purpose of wanting to set it in the freezer in the first place. My recommendation is to plan for enough time when making this recipe to allow the Jello to set in the fridge.
MORE CHRISTMAS SIDE DISHES
- Christmas Tree Cheese Ball
- Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
- Homemade Dinner Rolls
- Frog Eye Salad
- Pistachio Salad
- Cranberry Fluff Salad
- Cranberry Chicken Salad
- Best Baked Mac and Cheese
- Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole
- Simple Cranberry Sauce
Cranberry Jello Salad
- 2 (3 oz) boxes raspberry gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water divided
- 14 oz can whole cranberry sauce
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1 cup orange juice no pulp
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup chopped pecans
MAKE JELLO LAYER:
- Lightly spray a 13×9 Pyrex glass dish with nonstick cooking spray, set it aside.
- In a small bowl, combine gelatin in 1 cup of boiling water, stir until completely dissolved.
- In a large bowl, combine cranberry sauce and the remaining 1 cup boiling water, stir until combined.
- Add gelatin mixture, lemon juice, and cranberry mixture together and stir until well combined.
- Pour the mixture carefully into the 13×9 prepared dish.
- Place it in the refrigerator and chill until firm, at least 1 hour.
- In a small saucepan, add the sugar, flour, beaten egg, and orange juice, whisk until thick and pudding-like.
- Add butter and stir until melted.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool about 30 minutes.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer or large bowl, beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in the pudding mixture until well combined.
- Remove the Jello layer from the refrigerator and spread the topping in an even layer.
- Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- Return to refrigerator until ready to serve.