This Lemon Mug Cake recipe is zesty, delicious, and made in less than 10 minutes! Mug Cakes are one of the easiest dessert recipes you’ll ever make.
Two servings of this dessert cost about $1.90 to make. That is just $0.95 per serving.
Lemon Mug Cake
If you are looking for a quick and easy dessert that you can make at the end of a long day after the kids have gone to bed (maybe speaking from experience here), then this is the perfect treat for you.
Mug Cakes take just five minutes to prep and 90 seconds of cooking time in the microwave. Talk about having your cake and eating it too!
The citrus flavor in this mug cake is light and springy. The cake is moist, and it is just the right size when you make it in a mug. It is the perfect dessert when you don’t have the time or desire to make an entire cake.
Whenever you find yourself craving something sweet and refreshing, you can quickly and easily whip up this Lemon Mug Cake in the microwave! This is one of those recipes you’ll find yourself making again and again.
Is it safe to eat mug cakes?
Absolutely! These instant gratification mini cakes are perfectly safe to eat. They are small portion-sized cakes cooked in the microwave at high heat, ensuring everything bakes properly.
Why are mug cakes chewy?
If your mug cake came out chewy, there are a couple of things that could have caused this. Make sure the measurements are correct. Also, cook the mug cake for only the allotted time. Overcooking can result in a chewy or rubbery texture.
Can you reheat a mug cake?
You can reheat a mug cake in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to warm it. I do not recommend warming it for longer than this as you do not want to overcook the cake, which can then leave you with a chewy and rubbery texture.
How to make Lemon Mug Cake recipe:
STEP ONE: First, spray the mugs with non-stick baking spray. Set the mugs aside.
STEP TWO: Next, make the batter by whisking together the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Set this bowl aside.
STEP THREE: In another small bowl, use a hand mixer to cream together the butter and sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
STEP FOUR: Then, add in the egg, lemon juice, milk, and zest. Mix until well combined.
STEP FIVE: Next, scoop the batter into the prepared mug. Top with a few white chocolate chips.
STEP SIX: Finally, microwave for 90 seconds. Frost with the lemon frosting and enjoy.
How much will this Lemon Mug Cake recipe cost to make:
RECIPE COST: $1.90
PER SERVING COST: $0.95
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- ½ cup all-purpose flour – $0.08
- 1 teaspoon baking powder – $0.15
- ½ teaspoon baking soda – $0.01
- ⅛ teaspoon salt – $0.01
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter – $0.40
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar – $0.11
- 1 large egg – $0.10
- ¼ cup plus 1-3 teaspoons lemon juice – $0.30
- 3 Tablespoons milk – $0.03
- Zest from ½ lemon – $0.24
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips – $0.37
- 4-5 Tablespoons powdered sugar – $0.10
How long is it good for:
SERVE AND STORE: These lemon mug cakes are best when eaten immediately. If you need to store leftovers, store the cakes with plastic wrap over the top at room temperature for up to 24 hours.
FREEZE: These cakes do not freeze very well. I’d much rather you cook up a fresh batch of these, especially when they take just minutes to make.
More Dessert Recipes:
- Chocolate Chip Cake with Chocolate Glaze
- Brownie Bites with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Strawberry Lasagna
- Chocolate Meringue Cookies
- Instant Pot Creme Brulee
- Red Velvet Cookies with White Chocolate Chips
- Brownie Sundae Cupcakes
- Snickers Cheesecake Brownies
- Easy Chocolate Fudge
- Pink Macarons with Chocolate Ganache
- Birthday Rice Krispie Treats
- Mixed Berry Crisp
Lemon Mug Cake
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- Zest from ½ a lemon
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 4-5 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1-3 teaspoons lemon juice
- Prepare a mug, ramekin, or small ceramic bowl (microwave safe) with a non-stick baking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, use a hand mixer to cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, milk, and zest. Mix everything until well combined.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared mug, filling the batter about 1⁄2 of the way full. If it’s too full, there will be an overflow in the microwave.
- Top with a few white chocolate chips.
- Microwave for 90 seconds.
- With a hand mixer, cream butter, 4 tablespoons powdered sugar, and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice in a small bowl until fluffy.
- If the frosting is too soft, add some more powdered sugar until the desired consistency is reached. If the frosting is too stiff, add another teaspoon of lemon juice.
FINISH AND SERVE:
- Pipe or spread the frosting onto each cake mug. Serve and enjoy.
- These cakes taste great, just topped with a few extra white chocolate chips or lemon frosting. These cakes are best served warm right out of the microwave.
- This recipe will give you 2 cake mugs in a larger mug or ceramic bowl (About 1 1⁄4 cup volume). This will provide you with 3 cake mugs if using a mug that is 1 cup in volume. A ramekin will work for this recipe and will be close to the equivalent of a small mug, about 1 cup in volume.
- If preferred, milk can be substituted for the lemon juice in the frosting recipe. This will frost 2 mug cakes.