This Pot Roast Crockpot recipe is super moist and tender. It’s served with a delicious brown gravy made from the pot roast drippings along with onions and mushrooms.
Best Pot Roast Recipe
This pot roast recipe is just the thing for weeknight dinners and Sunday supper! It’s easy to prepare and it’s so tasty, hearty, and some serious comfort food! My family asks for this meal regularly when during the fall and winter because it’s a nice, cozy meal! It really is the best pot roast recipe! This dish is also delicious served with my Individual Yorkshire Pudding recipe.
Common Slow Cooker Pot Roast Questions Answered:
What is the best roast for pot roast?
I like Chuck roast or shoulder steak for making this pot roast with mushrooms recipe. The texture of these cuts of meat is perfect for low and slow cooking which results in a nice, tender pot roast every time. Brisket can be used as well, but the meat will be more stringy.
How do you make pot roast?
I like making mine in the crockpot because the meat ends up becoming so tender that it falls apart! Here’s how:
- Cook the roast in a crockpot for 6-7 hours along with onions, mushrooms, beef stock, and seasonings.
- Strain the cooking liquid and vegetables and make the brown gravy, and then stir the vegetables back into the gravy.
- Shred the meat and serve it with the gravy, that’s it!
Cook’s Note – Pot Roast Crockpot Recipe:
- I love serving this recipe alongside my Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes or my Healthy Mashed Cauliflower.
- You can make this recipe into an entire meal by adding in sliced carrots and red potatoes cut into 1-inch pieces after 2 hours of cooking.
- If you plan on making my Yorkshire Pudding recipe to go along with this recipe, then add an additional 1/3 cup of beef stock to the slow cooker.
Cook’s Tools – Pot Roast Crockpot Recipe:
ONE YEAR AGO: Copycat Avalanche Cookies
TWO YEARS AGO: Mexican Spinach Dip
THREE YEARS AGO: Copycat Honey Wheat Bushman Bread
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
FOR THE POT ROAST:
- 1 1/4 cups beef stock
- 9 ounces fresh white button mushrooms sliced
- 1 large yellow onion cut into large pieces
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 3- pound boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
FOR THE POT ROAST GRAVY:
- 1/4 cup butter cut into 8 pieces
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Fresh minced parsley
PREPARE AND COOK THE POT ROAST:
- In a crockpot that can hold at least 5 quarts, add the beef stock, mushrooms, onion and garlic. Sprinkle roast on all sides with paprika, salt, and pepper. Transfer the meat to the slow cooker by placing it right on top of the vegetables. Drizzle the roast with Worcestershire sauce and cook, covered, on low 6-7 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove the roast from the slow cooker and move it to a serving plate or bowl and tent it with foil.
MAKE THE GRAVY :
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a medium bowl and pour the cooking juices and vegetables into the strainer. Reserve the vegetables and skim off the fat from the cooking juices.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add the butter. Once the butter is melted and foaming subsides, whisk in the flour and salt until smooth. Continue stirring constantly until the mixture turns light brown, about 2-3 minutes. Slowly whisk in the reserved cooking juices and bring the mixture to a boil while whisking constantly. Continue to cook for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cooked vegetables.
- Either slice or shred the meat before serving.
- Serve the meat with the gravy and garnish with fresh chopped parsley (optional).