This Crockpot Pot Roast with Mushrooms recipe is super moist and tender. It’s served with a delicious brown gravy with made mushrooms, cream of mushroom soup, and onion soup mix.
A Sunday dinner classic for $22.79, which is $2.85 per serving. The recipe serves eight and it’s also delicious served with my Individual Yorkshire Pudding recipe, Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes, and Italian Salad.
Pot Roast with Mushrooms
This pot roast recipe is just the thing for weeknight dinners and Sunday supper! It’s easy to prepare, and it’s so tasty, hearty, and some serious comfort food!
My family asks for this pot roast with cream of mushroom soup regularly during the fall and winter because it’s a nice, hearty, cozy meal! It really is one of our favorite dinners!
I love cooking recipes in a slow cooker. With little prep time, you can set it, forget it, and then come home to a Heavenly smelling dinner waiting for you.
What is the best cut of meat for a slow cooker pot roast?
I like Chuck roast or shoulder steak for making this pot roast with mushrooms recipe. The texture of these cuts of meat is perfect for low and slow cooking, which results in a nice, tender pot roast every time. Brisket can be used as well, but the meat will be more stringy.
Do you have to brown a roast before putting it in the crockpot?
While you can brown a roast to add more flavor to the roast before placing it in the crockpot, you certainly do not have to. You can still have a flavorful, tender roast while skipping this step.
How to make Pot Roast with Cream of Mushroom Soup:
STEP ONE: Saute the mushrooms. Add mushrooms to the crockpot.
STEP TWO: Mix the mushroom gravy sauce.
STEP THREE: Season the beef chuck roast with salt and pepper. Transfer it to a hot skillet.
STEP FOUR: Sear the beef on both sides.
STEP FIVE: Nestle the chuck roast into the slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 8-9 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
STEP SIX: Slice the beef chuck roast, and serve mushroom gravy and parsley (optional).
- You can add halved red potatoes and carrots to the crockpot to make a complete meal.
- You can also add a large sliced yellow onion on top of the cooked mushrooms for added flavor.
How much does this Pot Roast with Onion Soup Mix cost to make?
RECIPE COST: $22.79
PER SERVING COST: $2.85
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- 4 Tablespoons vegetable oil – $0.12
- 1 pound sliced button mushrooms – $3.54
- 2 (10.75 ounces) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup – $1.88
- 1-ounce package dry onion soup mix – $0.40
- 1 ¼ cups beef stock – $0.41
- 5-pound boneless beef chuck roast – $16.41
- Salt and pepper – $0.03
Cook’s Tools for Pot Roast with Onion Soup Mix:
More Slow Cooker Recipes:
- Crockpot Little Smokies
- Easy Crockpot Chili
- Boston Baked Beans
- Spare Ribs
- Easy Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
- Tuscan White Bean Soup
- Chicken Gyro Bowls
- Beef Stew
- Kielbasa Kapusta
- Sausage and Peppers
Crockpot Pot Roast with Mushrooms
MUSHROOM GRAVY SAUCE:
- 4 Tablespoons vegetable oil separated
- 1 pound sliced button mushrooms
- 2 (10.75 ounces) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 ounce package dry onion soup mix
- 1 ¼ cups low sodium beef stock
BEEF CHUCK ROAST:
- Salt and pepper
- 5 pound boneless beef chuck roast
- fresh chopped parsley optional
- Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to a large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add mushrooms and saute until the mushrooms have shrunk, released their liquid, and browned.
- Transfer mushrooms to the crockpot insert.
MIX MUSHROOM GRAVY SAUCE:
- Add condensed soup, onion soup mix, and beef stock to the crockpot and stir to combine.
SEAR BEEF CHUCK ROAST:
- Season chuck roast with salt and pepper.
- Add the remaining 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil to the cast-iron skillet over high heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add beef chuck roast and sear on both sides.
- Add the seared roast to the crockpot.
- Spoon the gravy sauce over the pot roast.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-9 hours and HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the roast from the crockpot and slice.
- Serve with mushroom gravy sauce and chopped parsley (if using).