This Pecan Pie Bars recipe is so easy to make and, believe it or not, BETTER than pecan pie! The bars are rich, silky, and the shortbread crust is the stuff your buttery dreams are made of!
Pecan Pie Bars costs $10.44 to make and makes 16 servings. That is just $0.66 per serving. Make these bars the next time you have a craving for Pecan Pie or a holiday party.
Easy Pecan Pie Bars
Better than pecan pie bars? Yup, these bars are better than pecan pie. Why? Because they’re simple to make, are made with a rich, buttery shortbread as their crust, and they’re a smaller portion than pecan pie.
That way, you can sample other desserts at your holiday feast without going into a sugar coma. 🙂 See, I’ve got your back.
These Pecan Pie Bars are perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas. You can serve them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or plain (that’s how I prefer them!).
There is a tiny little place in Black Canyon City, Arizona, right off the freeway that I think serves the best Pecan Pie. The crust is cooked to golden perfection and is light and flaky.
The filling is a dream made of ooey, gooey pecan goodness. Just thinking about it is making my mouth water.
We typically stop here to pick one up on our way up north. Their pie is so delicious, and because I know how amazing it is, it’s a little overwhelming when trying to make Pecan Pie from scratch.
Pies can be hard to make. The crust can burn easily and take a while to get it just right in the pie pan.
So while I wanted to recreate the same taste of that pie, the pie crust proved to be difficult. It is tricky to get the crust just right without burning the filling and vice-a-versa. That’s where this pecan pie bars recipe comes into play.
It is the best of both worlds. No more spending time rolling out a crust, hoping it turns out. You simply line the pan with the crust mixture, then top it with the filling and bake!
Doesn’t it sound so easy to make these pecan pie bars? It is that easy! Now you can have the same great sweet, salty, crunchy taste without having to spend all day on it!
Veena says, “This Pecan Pie Dessert is so delicious. The crust is awesome and the filling definitely mouth melting and nutty.”
Do pecan pie bars need to be refrigerated?
You can leave the pecan pie bars out at room temperature for up to 2 hours. After this time frame, you need to place them in the fridge. Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Can I freeze pecan pie bars?
Absolutely! They freeze well, so it is a great option. Just cut them into squares first and place them in a Ziploc bag. The bars will stay fresh for up to 3 months.
What does a pecan pie taste like?
Pecan pie has a sweet and gooey, similar to caramel, flavor. The crust gives a buttery taste while the pecans add a salty flavor to contrast the sweet. All the best flavors come together in these bars.
How do you cut pecan pie?
It’s all about the knife! Use a serrated knife to cut the bars into squares. A serrated knife can cut through the pecans and into the filling and crust a lot better than any other type of knife.
Is pecan pie really bad for you?
Pecans are full of healthy nutrients, so Pecan Pie Bars must be healthy, right? That is what I tell myself when I go for my second piece! In all seriousness, this dessert not healthy. It is full of sugar and fat, so all things in moderation!
How do you keep a pecan pie from being runny?
If you are experiencing a runny filling, try adding in a few more pecans. Doing this can help absorb some of that extra liquid.
How to make Pecan Pie Bars with Shortbread Crust:
STEPS ONE AND TWO: Mix the flour and powdered sugar. Then, using a pastry cutter, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Knead the dough until smooth before patting the dough evenly into the prepared baking pan. Prick the dough with a fork 25-30 times. Next, bake for 15-20 minutes.
STEPS THREE AND FOUR: Mix the eggs and sugar for 1-2 minutes. Then, add the corn syrup, butter, vanilla, and salt, and beat until combined. Next, fold the pecans into the butter and corn syrup mixture.
STEPS FIVE AND SIX: Next, pour the filling over the crust and bake until the topping is golden brown and bake for 25-35 minutes. Finally, let it cool and then cut into 16 bars.
- These pecan pie squares can be made up to 3 days in advance; just be sure to store them in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Bring them to room temperature before serving.
How much will this Pecan Pie Bars Recipe cost to make?
RECIPE COST: $10.44
PER SERVING COST: $0.66
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour – $0.38
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar – $0.20
- 1 cup and 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter – $2.08
- 3 large eggs – $0.30
- ½ cup granulated sugar – $0.12
- 1 cup light corn syrup – $1.36
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract – $0.31
- ¼ teaspoon salt – $0.01
- 2 cups pecans – $5.68
More delicious holiday desserts:
- Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Dipped Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Soft Frosted Sugar Cookies
- Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
- Pumpkin Chocolate Cheesecake Bars
- Mixed Berry Crisp
- Gingerbread Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Quick Dutch Apple Pie
- Sugared Cranberries
- Easy Peppermint Bark Cookies
- Andes Mint Cheesecake Dip
- Almond Roca Brittle
Pecan Pie Bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter cut into 16 pieces
PECAN PIE FILLING:
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups pecans roughly chopped
MAKE SHORTBREAD CRUST:
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving an overhang on all sides. Spray the foil lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl sift together the flour and powdered sugar. Using a pastry cutter, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. While still in the bowl, knead the dough until smooth, about 10 times. Pat the dough evenly into your prepared baking pan and prick with a fork 25-30 times.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until light brown in color. Move to a wire rack.
MAKE PECAN PIE FILLING:
- While the shortbread crust is baking prepare the filling. In a medium bowl add the eggs and sugar and beat until combined, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the corn syrup, butter, vanilla, and salt and beat until combined, about 1 minute.
- Fold the pecans into the butter and corn syrup mixture.
- Pour the filling over the crust and bake until the topping is golden brown and set about 25-35 minutes.
- Let cool for at least 2 hours and then cut into 16 squares. Serve.
These Pecan Pie Bars first appeared on FFF on November 27, 2013. I’ve updated the pictures in this post.