This Apple Dump Cake recipe is an easy and irresistible dessert with just four ingredients: apple pie filling, cake mix, pecans, and butter!
To make this recipe it will cost about $6.19. It makes eight servings which works out to be just $0.77 per serving.
Early Fall, I crave apple desserts—any kind! This Apple Pie Filling Dump Cake has got to be the easiest apple dessert recipe on my site! My kids love helping me make it, and it’s one of those recipes that build their kitchen confidence!
With just four ingredients and five minutes of prep time, you can enjoy this simple dessert anytime you want. Do not let the name dissuade you! This Dump Cake is sweet, savory, and cozy with very little effort. Dump the ingredients into the baking dish and bake it. Easy and delicious!
Ingredients and Cost
Per Serving Cost: $0.77
Recipe Cost: $6.19
- (2) 21 ounce cans apple pie filling – $3.28
- 16.25 ounce box white cake mix – $1.00
- 12 Tablespoons salted butter – $1.20
- ¼ cup pecans – $0.71
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- First, pour the pie filling into a 9 x 13-inch pyrex pan and smooth it into an even layer.
- Then, sprinkle the cake mix evenly over the pie filling.
- Next, space out the butter pieces evenly over the cake mix.
- Finally, sprinkle the chopped pecans over the top. Bake until golden brown and the sides are bubbling, about 35-40 minutes.
- This recipe will work with any pie filling, even pumpkin pie filling!
- One variation my family loves is cherry pie filling and chocolate cake mix. instead of white cake mix.
Serving and Storage Tips
SERVE: This dump cake is best served warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
STORE: Leftovers and be covered with foil and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
FREEZE: Once cooled, transfer the cake to a freezer-safe container and freeze for 2-3 months. Thaw the dump cake in the refrigerator overnight or at room temperature for 2-3 hours.
RE-HEAT: Re-heat individual servings in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Or you can reheat the entire apple dump cake by placing it in a 325 degree F oven until heated through, about 15-20 minutes.
A dump cake is one of the simplest desserts you can make. They’re made with a base of canned pie filling, a layer of dry cake mix, and pads of butter on top. There is no stirring involved with dump cakes, and true to their name, you just dump the ingredients into the pan, and that’s it!
Both use similar ingredients. However, the main difference is that a cobbler is typically made with a pie crust topping or biscuit while a dump cake is made with a cake mix. Both have a layer of fruit filling.
You can store the Dump Cake in an airtight container on the counter for up to two days. However, it will stay fresh for another day if stored in the fridge.
Cook’s Tools and Ingredients:
- covered 9×13 pan
- serving spoon (I love this set, and it’s such a great value.)
- apple pie filling
- white cake mix
- chopped pecans
More Apple Desserts
- Apple Crisp
- Caramel Apples
- Dutch Apple Pie
- Apple Muffins with Crunchy Brown Sugar Topping
- Fried Apples
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars
- Cream Cheese Caramel Apple Dip
- Caramel Apple Cupcakes
- Apple Pie Danish Biscuits
- Deep Dish Apple Pie
Apple Pie Filling Dump Cake
- 2 21 ounce cans apple pie filling
- 1 16.25 ounce box white cake mix
- 12 Tablespoons salted butter, cut into 12 pieces
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- vanilla ice cream
- Move oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour the pie filling into a 9 x 13-inch pyrex pan and smooth into an even layer.
- Sprinkle the cake mix evenly over the pie filling.
- Space out the butter pieces evenly over the cake mix.
- Sprinkle the chopped pecans over the top. Bake until golden brown and the sides are bubbling, about 35-40 minutes.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes, and then serve with vanilla ice cream (optional).