This Pumpkin Pasta with Sausage and Sage is the perfect comfort food dish for fall! It’s creamy, spicy, and so flavorful. Plus it’s on your table in just 25 minutes!
It’s fall y’all, and finally starting to cool down a little here in Southern California. Fall is my favorite season and since it was finally starting to feel like it, I wanted to whip up the perfect fall dinner. This pumpkin pasta is just the thing. It’s comforting, seasonal, and delicious for dinner! Not only is it super quick and easy to make, but its perfect for casual dinners and dinner parties! My family especially likes this for dinner the week before Thanksgiving or on Halloween!
I had leftover pumpkin puree and some cream and so I decided to just go for it and make a creamy, dreamy pumpkin sauce for pasta. This Creamy Pumpkin Pasta with Sausage and Sage turned out better than I had hoped, and I wanted to post it ASAP for you all.
My husband devoured his heaping portion of Pumpkin Pasta before I finished taking pictures of my plate. Once I tasted it, I knew why–definite restaurant quality that’s rich and creamy. But personally my favorite about this pasta: it’s quick & easy. From start to finish this Pumpkin Pasta took about 25 minutes!
Cook’s Note – Creamy Pumpkin Pasta:
- This Pumpkin Pasta recipe calls for you to chiffonade the sage, or basically to slice into long, thin strips. To do this lay the leaves on top of each other, and roll them up like you would cinnamon rolls. Finally, slice them very thin.
- I used homemade pumpkin puree for this dish, but the canned variety will work just fine.
Creamy Pumpkin Pasta with Sausage and Sage
- 1 Pound Rigatoni pasta
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 Pound hot italian sausage
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large shallots, diced small
- 1 cup white cooking wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 4-6 sage leaf sprigs, chiffonade (see note above)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta as per the box instructions. In a large, deep skillet (non-stick is best) heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and use the back of a wooden spoon to break it apart into pieces as it browns. Once it's browned and cooked through transfer it to a paper towel-lined plate. Discard remaining fat from the pan.
- Return the pan to the stove and add remaining Tablespoon of olive oil. Add shallots and garlic. Saute until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and using the back of a wooden spoon scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the bay leaf and sage. Cook until the wine has reduced by half, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the stock and pumpkin and stir constantly until the sauce starts to bubble. Add in the cream, pumpkin pie spice, and salt & pepper to taste. Stir until the cream is incorporated into the sauce. Add the sausage back in and simmer the sauce for about 5 minutes to thicken.
- Finally, remove the bay leaf and stir together the sauce and drained pasta. Serve the pasta with shaved Parmesan cheese and sage leaves (optional).
More Pumpkin Recipes: