The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
These Ground Turkey Tacos With Sweet Potato are an easy recipe that is perfect for Fall. They’re bursting with flavor, are gluten-free, and can be made in under 30 minutes!
It costs approximately $6.74 to make these tacos. The recipe makes six servings for about $1.12 per serving.
Tacos show up regularly on my weekly menu plan. Besides these turkey tacos, here are some of my other favorites: Crockpot Chicken Tacos, Picadillo Tacos, Carne Asada Street Tacos, and Breakfast Waffle Tacos.
I like experimenting and coming up with different varieties of tacos. So with Thanksgiving coming up, I figured I’d try out some seasonal ingredients in an unconventional way. And that’s how these Ground Turkey Tacos were born!
This unconventional twist on tacos is genuinely awesome! I love the sweet and spicy combination the sauce and sweet potatoes bring to the dish.
The addition of the black beans makes these tacos a bit more filling. A bonus with these turkey tacos is that they’re also gluten-free!
These Ground Turkey and Sweet Potato Tacos are full of black beans, ground turkey, and a chipotle pepper sauce. The flavors meld together and make the perfect cozy meal any night of the week.
Ingredients and Estimated Cost
Per Serving Cost: $1.12
Recipe Cost: $6.74
- 1 large sweet potato – $0.44
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil – $0.08
- 1 pound ground turkey – $2.96
- 1 medium onion – $0.62
- 2 large garlic cloves – $0.08
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning – $0.08
- ¼ teaspoon table salt – $0.01
- 2 Tablespoons chipotle pepper sauce – $0.71
- 2 Tablespoons honey – $0.36
- ¼ cup water – $0.00
- 14.5 ounce can black beans – $0.68
- 12 corn tortillas – $0.72
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
How To Make Ground Turkey Tacos
- First, cook the diced sweet potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl for three minutes. Stir the potatoes and cook for another two to four minutes, or until tender.
- Next, using another bowl, whisk together the chipotle pepper sauce, honey, and water.
- Then, using a large skillet, add the olive oil, onion, and garlic. Cook for about seven minutes.
- Add the turkey and cook until browned.
- Add the taco seasoning and salt to cook for another minute.
- Next, stir in the chipotle pepper sauce mixture, black beans, and cooked sweet potatoes. Cook the mixture for about three to five minutes.
- Finally, serve with warm tortillas, cilantro, shredded cheese, and sour cream.
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Chipotle sauce can be found right next to canned chipotle peppers in your supermarket. If you can’t find chipotle sauce, then buy chipotle peppers and use just the sauce from the can.
- The chipotle sauce makes this dish a bit spicy. If you’re not into spice then either cut back on the chipotle sauce or use your favorite mild salsa or enchilada sauce instead.
- I personally think they taste best with corn tortillas, but you can also serve them with flour tortillas.
SERVE: You can keep the filing out for no more than two hours before it needs to be covered and refrigerated.
STORE: Place the taco filling in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
FREEZE: Place the filling in a freezer-safe container and and freeze for up to 3 months.
THAW: Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or at room temperature for 2-3 hours.
REHEAT: Reheat the turkey taco filling in the microwave in 1-minute increments until heated through.
Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of Vitamin A. Vitamin A is good for your eyes, immune system, heart, and kidneys. Making these Sweet Potato Turkey Tacos is a great way to get this added source of Vitamin A into your diet.
With a few basic ingredients you can make plain turkey meat taste amazing in these tacos! Simply add in a diced onion, garlic cloves, taco seasoning, and some salt. For exact measurements, please see the recipe card below.
Corn tortillas are perfect for tacos. I think they are better than flour tortillas for tacos. I personally like to use yellow corn tortillas with this recipe.
More Quick and Easy Recipes
- Pumpkin Sausage Pasta
- Sausage and Peppers Pasta
- Boiled Chicken Drumsticks
- Saucy Honey Mustard Chicken
- Tomato Basil Pasta
- Classic Shrimp Scampi Pasta
- Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Healthy Mashed Cauliflower
- Polish Beet Soup
Ground Turkey Tacos With Sweet Potato
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- 2 Tablespoons chipotle pepper sauce
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup water
- 14.5 ounces can black beans drained
- 12 corn tortillas
- chopped cilantro
- shredded Mexican cheese blend
- sour cream
COOK SWEET POTATOES:
- Place the diced sweet potatoes in a medium microwave-safe bowl and cook in the microwave for 3 minutes.
- Stir the sweet potatoes and continue to cook until fork-tender, about another 2-4 minutes. Set aside.
- Make the sauce by whisking together the chipotle pepper sauce, honey, and water in a small bowl.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add the olive oil and coat the pan.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onions just begin to caramelize about 7 minutes.
- Add the turkey and break apart any large chunks of meat with the backside of a wooden spoon. Cook until browned and crumbly, about 6 minutes.
- Add the taco seasoning and salt and cook while stirring for 1 minute.
- Stir in the chipotle pepper sauce mixture, black beans, and cooked sweet potatoes.
- Cook the mixture until the sauce reduces, about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve with warm corn tortillas (I personally like the yellow corn tortillas for this recipe).
- Garnish with cilantro, shredded cheese, and sour cream.
ENTER YOUR NAME AND EMAIL AND GET MY DELICIOUS WEEKLY NEWSLETTER... IT'S FREE!
Oh my oh my!! These were so tasty!!
Love this idea! I make tacos a lot and I am always looking for new ways to prepare them. Thanks for sharing!
Jenn Kurkiewicz says
YUM! These will be great for the day after Thanksgiving! Thanks for sharing & pinned 🙂
WOW!!!! I love these!!!! Pinned and definitely making soon!!!! Visiting from Daily Blog Boost.
I’m a taco-aholic so these are perfect. Too bad I used up my sweet potatoes yesterday- better go replenish my stock! Pinned to my Fake Out Take Out board.
Sara Welch says
This was such a unique and unexpected twist to a traditional taco! Easily, a new favorite for Taco Tuesday; my whole family loved it!
This looks so flavorful and good for you, too! I love your pictures. Everything looks so appetizing. Thanks for sharing.
What a fantastic combination of flavors with the ground turkey and sweet potatoes. Makes a marvelous taco.
I love how hearty and wholesome these are. Total belly-warming goodness! Was a great recipe to change things up on Taco Tuesday!