Sweet Potato and Turkey Tacos are an easy recipe that’s perfect for Fall. They’re bursting with flavor, gluten-free and you make them in under 30 minutes!
I like making tacos for dinner because they’re quick, easy, AND super tasty. But let’s face it, they can become boring after awhile. That’s why I like experimenting and coming up with different varieties of tacos. With Thanksgiving coming up I figured I’d try out some seasonal ingredients in an unconventional way. And that’s how these Sweet Potato and Turkey Tacos we born!
This unconventional twist on tacos are turly awesome! I love the sweet and spicy combination the sauce and sweet potatoes brought to the dish. The addition of the black beans made these tacos a bit more filling. An added bonus with these turkey tacos is that they’re also gluten-free!
More Taco Recipes:
Tacos show up regurly on my weekly menu plan. Besides these turkey tacos, below are some of my favorites.
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos: These are another great weeknight recipe that are super easy to make.
- Picadillo Tacos: These are delicious, filling, and easy on the budget. My kids love the addition of potato to these tacos.
- Carne Asada Street Tacos: These are my favorite tacos to eat and to order at restaurants. They’re so satisfying and definitely crave-worthy!
- Breakfast Waffle Tacos: Tacos for breakfast? YUP! When I want to change up Saturday morning breakfasts, I make these tacos!
Cook’s Note – Sweet Potato Turkey Tacos:
- Chipotle sauce can be found right next to canned chipotle peppers in your supermarket. If you can’t find chipotle sauce, then buy chipotle peppers and use just the sauce from the can.
- The chipotle sauce makes this dish a bit spicy, if you’re not into spice then either cut back on the chipotle sauce or use your favorite mild salsa or enchilada sauce instead.
Sweet Potato and Turkey Tacos
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- 2 Tablespoons chipotle pepper sauce
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup water
- 14.5 ounces can black beans drained
- 12 corn tortillas
- chopped cilantro
- Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
- sour cream
- Place the diced sweet potatoes in a medium microwave-safe bowl and cook in the microwave for 3 minutes. Stir the sweet potatoes and continue to cook until fork-tender, about another 2-4 minutes. Set aside.
- Make the sauce by whisking together the chipotle pepper sauce, honey, and water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add the olive oil and coat the pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onions just begin to caramelize, about 7 minutes. Add the turkey and break apart any large chunks of meat with the backside of a wooden spoon. Cook until browned and crumbly, about 6 minutes. Add the taco seasoning and salt and cook while stirring for 1 minute. Stir in the chipotle pepper sauce mixture, black beans, and cooked sweet potatoes. Cook the mixture until the sauce reduces, about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve with warm corn tortillas (I personally like the yellow corn tortillas for this recipe) and garnish with cilantro, shredded cheese & sour cream.