Disclosure: This post for Skillet Pork Chops with Grapes and Caramelized Shallots has been compensated by Holland House Cooking Wine. As always all opinions are mine alone.
This Skillet Pork Chops with Grapes and Caramelized Shallots recipe is a delicious dinner for easy weeknight meals, and it’s dressy enough for company.
These skillet pork chops are juicy and so incredibly flavorful. Pork chops are one of those dishes that just scream comfort food. Comfort food can sometimes take a long time to cook, but not these pork chops! From brining to eating you’re looking at right around 1 hour.
The layered flavors of the caramelized shallots, simmered Holland House Red Cooking Wine, and the slightly blistered red grapes add both amazing layered flavors and contrasting textures to the dish. Folks will think you spent all day in the kitchen preparing dinner when in actuality you only spent about an hour!
I love using Holland House Cooking Wines in my recipes because they enhance the flavor of every savory dish like this Skillet Pork Chops with Red Grapes and Caramelized Shallots recipe.
To receive recipe ideas like these Skillet Pork Chops with Red Grapes and Caramelized Shallots, cooking tips, and Holland House coupons, sign up for the Holland House Cooking Wine Newsletter.
COOK’S NOTE – SKILLET PORK CHOPS WITH GRAPES:
- When you’re searing the pork chops on the stovetop, you’ll want to open a window and/or turn on your vent fan.
- I like serving these pork chops with wild rice, quinoa, or mashed potatoes.
Skillet Pork Chops with Grapes and Caramelized Shallots
- 3 cups water
- ¼ cup salt
- 4 pork chops weighing about 1 pound each
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 large shallots
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup Holland House Red Cooking Wine
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups red seedless grapes washed and dried
- freshly chopped parsley for garnish
- BRINE PORK CHOPS: In large measuring cup combine water and salt, and let mixture sit 5 minutes, or until the salt dissolves. Place pork chops in 9x13-inch dish and pour brine over chops. Cover and chill for 30 minutes (up to 3 hours).
- CARAMELIZE SHALLOTS: While the chops brine, heat butter in cast-iron skillet or another heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-low heat. Once butter has melted, add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until deeply golden and caramelized, about 20-25 minutes. Remove shallots from skillet, and set aside.
- COOK PORK CHOPS: Move oven rack to middle position and preheat to 400 degrees F. Turn the heat up to medium-high and preheat skillet.
- Take pork chops out of brine, and pat dry and rub both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place pork chops in preheated pan (depending on pan size, you may need to work in batches) and cook until chops are golden, about 2-4 minutes. Turn chops over, and cook until golden again, about another 2-4 minutes.
- Remove chops from pan, and turn heat down to medium-low. Add Holland House Red Cooking Wine, chicken broth, and caramelized shallots and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Nestle pork chops into liquid, and bake skillet for 15 minutes. Add grapes to skillet and bake another 5 minutes. Sprinkle parsley over pork chops and serve.
Makes 4 servings.