This Southwest Quinoa Stew recipe is the perfect comfort food for helping you keep your healthy living goals for the New Year.
If you’re like many Americans, you set a healthy living goal for yourself at the beginning of this month. I don’t know about you, but I’m a little tired of smoothies, kale, and salads right now. Recently, I was craving a thick, rich, stew but I knew the recipe I was thinking of wouldn’t align with my New Year’s goals. So this healthy, hearty, comforting Southwest Quinoa Stew came to the rescue!
This Southwest Quinoa Stew proves that comfort food can be built into your healthy living goals. Comfort food for me extends beyond rich or sweet foods. I personally like big, bold, fresh flavors and this stew is perfect for busy winter nights. Plus, you can make it in about 30 minutes!
One thing that keeps me on track with my healthy eating goals is frozen C&W Vegetables. They help cut down on recipe prep big time! Plus, my local Walmart has about 20 different varieties of frozen vegetables to choose from! For this Southwest Quinoa Stew recipe, I used 2 packages of C&W’s Ultimate Southwest Blend and some Early Harvest Petite Peas.
Southwest Quinoa Stew Ingredients:
Make sure you add C&W Vegetables to your shopping list and don’t forget to take advantage of the $.50 off of 1 package of C&W vegetables Ibotta coupon good at select Walmart stores (while supplies last).
This recipe makes a TON! It was enough for my family of 4 to get 2 dinners and 2 lunches out of it! By the way, my kids loved this stew and my 5-year-old was excited about leftovers on the next night…now tell me when does that ever happen?!?
Cook’s Note – Southwest Quinoa Stew
- This stew tends to thicken as it sits. The next day I found that I needed to add a little extra broth to loosen things up.
Southwest Quinoa Stew
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 14 oz packages frozen C&W Vegetables Ultimate Southwest Blend
- 5 medium garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 6 cups vegetable broth low sodium preferred
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 pound sweet potatoes scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- 1 cup frozen C&W Vegetables Early Harvest Petite Peas
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 large avocado diced
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 ounces queso fresco cheese crumbled
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot heat oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add both packages of frozen Ultimate Southwest Blend and cook until thawed, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, paprika, coriander, and cumin and cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour in broth, canned tomatoes, and sweet potatoes, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook about 8 minutes (note, the sweet potatoes won’t be done at this point).
- Add quinoa to pot and stir. Continue to simmer for 14 more minutes. Stir in frozen peas and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Ladle stew into bowls and top with avocado, cilantro, and queso fresco before serving.
If you need a healthy dessert to go with your stew, then check out my Chocolate Avocado Pudding!