This Tamale Pie recipe is a quick and easy weeknight meal that uses a pulled pork base recipe to speed up the recipe.
Cook’s Note for Tamale Pie:
- This recipe calls for buttermilk in the cornbread topping. If you don’t have it on hand, make your own using my DIY Buttermilk Recipe!
- I used my Pulled Pork Base Recipe for the pulled pork called for in this recipe. In a pinch, you can use the pre-packaged barbeque pulled pork you find in the deli section of your local supermarket.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 medium cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ Cups pulled pork
- 1 15.5-ounce can black beans or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 Cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaves plus more for garnish
- Ground black pepper
- ¾ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
For the Tamale Filling:
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion, chili powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the beans and tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Stir in the pulled pork, cheese and cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour the tamale filling into the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate.
For the Cornbread Topping:
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. In a separate bowl, whisk the buttermilk and egg together. Stir the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture until uniform. Stir in the butter until just combined.
- Dollop the cornbread batter evenly over the filling and spread into an even layer. Bake until the cornbread is cooked through in the center, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve.