THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
Easy Cornbread Casserole with Cheese is a comforting side dish for entertaining and busy weeknights! It’s quick to whip together and so delicious!
Cornbread Casserole combines my love of cornbread and casseroles. It costs about $5.95 to make 10 servings, which is only $0.59 per serving.
Cornbread Casserole with Cheese
Stuffing, are you a fan? I’ll be honest here, it’s not my favorite. It is a classic side dish, though, right? So what can I do to solve this problem?
My solution is to make Cornbread Casserole an alternative to stuffing because, in my experience, I have found that I am not alone in not being a fan of stuffing.
This Cornbread Casserole with Cheese recipe is super versatile, too. I don’t just make it for Thanksgiving and Christmas; I make it for weeknight meals (think anything Mexican or comfort food), too!
It’s cheesy, nice, and moist (thank you, sour cream), and is nicely flavored with green onions and black pepper. The casserole also has a delicious corn flavor from cornmeal, frozen corn, and cream-style canned corn!
My favorite part about this recipe, though? Cornbread Casserole is super easy to put together. So what are you waiting for? Let’s get started!
What goes with cornbread casserole?
Is corn meal mix the same as cornmeal?
Cornmeal mix consists of cornmeal that already has baking powder, salt, and some flour mixed into it. You would not want to substitute it for cornmeal in this recipe as the recipe already calls for those ingredients, so the taste will not be the same.
Can Cornbread Casserole be made ahead of time?
You can make this dish ahead of time by preparing it up until baking. After you pour the batter into the pan, cover it with foil and refrigerate.
You can make this up to 24 hours in advance. You’ll need to add 5 minutes to the cooking time since the batter will be chilled.
How to make cornbread casserole:
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×13 dish, and set aside.
- Next, mix dry ingredients and set aside. Then in another bowl, mix wet ingredients.
- Add the mixture to dry ingredients, and stir until combined. Next, fold in thawed corn and cream-style corn, and whisk until combined. Then fold in shredded cheese and green onions.
- Finally, pour the mixture into the prepared pan and spread into an even layer. Bake for 50 minutes and then let it cool for 10 minutes.
- mixing bowl
- 9×13-inch baking dish
- rubber scraper
- wire rack
- serving spoon
- cutting board
- chef knife
- cheese grater
How much will this Creamy Cornbread Casserole recipe cost to make:
RECIPE COST: $5.95
PER SERVING COST: $0.59
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour – $0.19
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal – $0.48
- 2 Tablespoons sugar – $0.04
- 2 teaspoons baking powder – $0.30
- ½ teaspoon baking soda – $0.01
- 1 teaspoon salt – $0.01
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper – $0.03
- 6 Tablespoons butter – $0.60
- 1 large egg – $0.10
- 1 cup sour cream – $1.44
- 2 cups frozen corn – $0.84
- 15-ounce can cream-style corn – $0.50
- 1 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese – $1.11
- 3 green onions – $0.30
More SIDE DISHES:
- Turkey Gravy
- Cheesy Broccoli and Cauliflower Casserole
- Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
- Aunt Nancie’s Sweet Potato Soufflé
- Creamed Pearl Onions
- Carrot Puree with Ginger
- Cranberry Fluff Salad
- Brown Sugar and Honey Glazed Carrots
- Thanksgiving Salad
- Frog Eye Salad
- Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes
- Food Truck Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
- Oven Roasted Broccoli
- Skillet Green Beans
Cornbread Casserole with Cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 Tablespoons butter melted and cooled to room temp
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups frozen corn thawed
- 15 ounce can cream style corn
- 1 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 3 green onions green and white parts sliced thin
PREP OVEN AND PAN:
- Move oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9x13 or any other 3-quart baker, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together butter, egg, sour cream. Add this mixture to dry ingredients, and whisk until just combined.
- Fold in thawed corn and cream-style corn. Fold in shredded cheese and green onions.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown.
COOL AND SERVE:
- Move to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, and then serve.
- You can make this dish ahead of time by preparing it up until baking. After you pour the batter into the pan just cover it with foil and refrigerate. You can make this up to 24 hours in advance. You'll need to add 5 minutes to the cooking time since the batter will be chilled.
- You can leave out the cheese in this mixture if you'd like. You can also use chives instead of green onions.
- This Cornbread Casserole is made from scratch without the use of a box mix. I personally prefer it this way...it just tastes like a bit more love is baked into it. 🙂