Cornbread Casserole with Cheese and Green Onions is a comforting side dish for Thanksgiving and busy weeknights! It’s easy to whip together and so delicious!
Disclosure: This post for Cornbread Casserole with Cheese and Green Onions recipe includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy the item by clicking my link. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep this blog running on butter…lots of butter! See the rest of Food Folks and Fun’s disclosure policy here.
Cornbread Casserole is one of those classic side dishes that often get overlooked. I like making it for Thanksgiving as an alternative to stuffing, because in my experience I’ve found that not everyone likes stuffing, including me!
This Cornbread Casserole with Cheese and Green Onions recipe is super versatile, too. I just don’t make it for Thanksgiving, I make it for weeknight meals (think anything Mexican or comfort food), too!
This is the BEST Cornbread Casserole. It’s cheesy, nice and moist (thank you, sour cream), and it is nicely flavored with the green onions and black pepper. It’s also filled with delicious corn flavor coming from the cornmeal, frozen corn, and cream-style canned corn!
Some of my Favorite Thanksgiving Side Dishes:
- Turkey Gravy
- Cheesy Broccoli and Cauliflower Casserole
- Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
- Aunt Nancie’s Sweet Potato Soufflé
- Creamed Pearl Onions
- Carrot Puree with Ginger
Cook’s Note – Cornbread Casserole with Cheese and Green Onions:
- You can make this dish ahead of time by preparing it up until baking. After you pour the batter into the pan just cover it with foil and refrigerate. You can make this up to 24 hours in advance. You’ll need to add 5 minutes to the cooking time since the batter will be chilled.
- You can leave out the cheese in this mixture if you’d like. You can also use chives instead of green onions.
- This Cornbread Casserole is made from scratch without the use of a box mix. I personally prefer it this way…it just tastes like a bit more love is baked into it. 🙂
Cook’s Tools – Cornbread Casserole with Cheese and Green Onions:
ONE YEAR AGO: Peanut Butter Frosting
TWO YEARS AGO: 20-Minute Tortellini Soup
THREE YEARS AGO: Fall Menu Plan #1
Cornbread Casserole with Cheese and Green Onions
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 Tablespoons butter melted and cooled to room temp
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups frozen corn thawed
- 15- ounce can cream style corn
- 1 cup 4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 green onions green and white parts sliced thin
- Move oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9x13 or any other 3-quart baker, and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together butter, egg, sour cream. Add this mixture to dry ingredients, and whisk until just combined. Fold in thawed corn and cream-style corn. Fold in shredded cheese and green onions.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and spread into an even layer. Bake for 50 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. Move to wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, and then serve.
Makes 8-10 side dish servings.