Restaurant Style Refried Beans recipe – these are the best refried beans! They’re made in the crock-pot and taste just like they came from your favorite Mexican restaurant!
Disclosure: This Restaurant Style Refried Beans recipe includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy an item after clicking my link. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep this blog running on butter…lots of butter! See the rest of Food Folks and Fun’s disclosure policy here.
Warning: Once you make my Restaurant Style Refried Beans Recipe you’ll never go back to canned bean, because this is an easy, authentic refried beans recipe!
I have been tinkering with this easy refried beans recipe for a couple of months now. I am happy to report that I’ve SO nailed it! They’re incredibly easy to make and so tasty. Not to mention they cost a fraction of the canned refried beans. And who knew refried beans and healthy could be used in the same sentence?! Because they definitely could with this recipe!
I always have a few…ten…pounds of pinto beans in my pantry (Thanks, Costco!). My kids love these beans. And I mean LOVE! They shovel them in by the spoonful.
Cook’s Note – Restaurant Style Refried Beans Recipe
- *** If you use Chicken broth instead of the chicken bouillon granules then you will need 6 cups of broth and 1 cup of water!
- To make this refried beans recipe you’ll need an immersion blender. You can use a standard blender and run small batches through it, but it will take a while. (Also if you go this route you’ll need to hold the lid to the blender on SUPER tight!) The immersion blender that I use will run you about $40. I use it all the time, especially for soups!
- When rinsing the beans throw out any that float or that are discolored. Also keep an eye out for small stones, especially if you buy cheaper pinto beans.
- This recipe makes roughly 12 cups of beans which translates to about 6-7 cans of refried beans!
- These beans can be frozen in Ziploc bags in small batches. They will keep in the freezer for up to 4 months. When reheating the beans you may need to loosen them with a couple tablespoons of water.
Cook’s Tools – Restaurant Style Refried Beans Recipe
- Crock-Pot (This is the 3rd one I’ve own and it’s my favorite. Lots of bells and whistles without a hefty price tag!)
- Immersion Blender
Restaurant Style Refried Beans Recipe Video:
- 3 cups dried pinto beans, rinsed and picked over
- 7 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 medium white onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2½ teaspoons ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend (optional)
- Add all of the ingredients, except for the salt and pepper to the crock-pot. Cook on high for 9 hours. At this point the beans will be tender and a bunch of them will have popped open.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the beans until smooth. Add more water as needed, or if you're feeling decadent add a couple tablespoons of butter! Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with shredded Mexican cheese (optional).