This Restaurant Style Refried Beans recipe is the best-refried beans recipe! They’re made in the crock-pot and taste just like they came from your favorite Mexican restaurant!
Disclosure: This Restaurant Style Refried Beans recipe includes affiliate links. See the rest of Food Folks and Fun’s disclosure policy.
Slow Cooker Refried Beans Recipe
Warning: Once you make my Restaurant Style Refried Beans Recipe you’ll never go back to canned beans because this is an easy, authentic refried beans recipe!
I have been tinkering with this easy refried beans recipe for a couple of months now. I am happy to report that I’ve SO nailed it! They’re incredibly easy to make and so tasty. Not to mention they cost a fraction of the canned refried beans. And who knew refried beans and healthy could be used in the same sentence?! Because they definitely could with this recipe!
I always have a few…ten…pounds of pinto beans in my pantry (Thanks, Costco!). My kids love these beans. And I mean LOVE! They shovel them in by the spoonful.
Cook’s Note – Homemade Refried Beans Recipe:
- *** If you use Chicken broth instead of the chicken bouillon granules then you will need 6 cups of broth and 1 cup of water!
- To make this refried beans recipe you’ll need an immersion blender. You can use a standard blender and run small batches through it, but it will take a while. (Also if you go this route you’ll need to hold the lid to the blender on SUPER tight!) The immersion blender that I use will run you about $40. I use it all the time, especially for soups!
- When rinsing the beans throw out any that float or that are discolored. Also keep an eye out for small stones, especially if you buy cheaper pinto beans.
- This recipe makes roughly 12 cups of beans which translates to about 6-7 cans of refried beans!
- These beans can be frozen in Ziploc bags in small batches. They will keep in the freezer for up to 4 months. When reheating the beans you may need to loosen them with a couple tablespoons of water.
Cook’s Tools – Restaurant Style Refried Beans Recipe:
- Crock-Pot This is the 3rd one I’ve own and it’s my favorite. Lots of bells and whistles without a hefty price tag! I love that when the timer goes off, the slow cooker automatically switches to warm for 4 hours.
- Immersion Blender: I love this immersion blender for making SO many recipes like salad dressings, creamy soups, and these refried beans. Clean up is so much quicker than using a blender!
How to Make Refried Beans Recipe Video:[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”1CvUuhOh” upload-date=”2019-01-16T11:59:52.000Z” name=”Slow Cooker Refried Beans Recipe ” description=”This Restaurant Style Refried Beans recipe is the best-refried beans recipe! They’re made in the crock-pot and taste just like they came from your favorite Mexican restaurant!”]
Restaurant Style Refried Beans Recipe
- 3 cups dried pinto beans rinsed and picked over
- 7 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 medium white onion finely diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend optional
- Add all of the ingredients, except for the salt and pepper to the crock-pot.
- Cook on high for 9 hours. At this point, the beans will be tender and a bunch of them will have popped open.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the beans until smooth. Add more water as needed, or if you're feeling decadent add a couple tablespoons of butter! Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with shredded Mexican cheese (optional).
Try serving these beans with some of my favorite Mexican dishes: