The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Air Fryer Eggplant Fries are a healthy alternative to traditional French fries. They’re crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. They can be served as a side dish or appetizer.
These Eggplant Fries cost $1.06 per serving to make. The recipe makes four servings for $4.25 for the entire recipe.
Eggplant Air Fryer Fries
Homemade Crispy Baked French Fries are delicious, but sometimes we need a healthier option. These Air Fryer Eggplant Fries are the perfect solution!
Making Eggplant Fries in the Air Fryer results in perfectly crispy golden fries everyone is sure to love. The crunchy outer coating comes from the eggplant sticks covered in a Panko crumb mixture lightly sprayed with olive oil before cooking.
The Air Fryer makes everything so easy without dealing with the mess of deep-frying anything. This recipe comes together in just a few minutes and takes less than ten minutes to cook!
You may need to triple the recipe if you plan on sharing any! They are so good, everyone will want some!
Ingredients and Estimated Cost
Per Serving Cost: $1.06
Recipe Cost: $4.25
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs – $0.89
- ½ cup grated Parmesan – $0.52
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder – $0.03
- 2 large eggs – $0.34
- 1 eggplant – $1.59
- 1 cup marinara sauce – $0.88
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
How To Make Eggplant Fries In The Air Fryer
- First, mix together the Panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and garlic powder.
- Next, whisk together the eggs in a separate bowl.
- Then, spray the bottom of the air fryer’s basket with olive oil cooking spray.
- Dip one eggplant stick at a time into the eggs and then put it in the Panko mixture bowl and coat it on all sides.
- Set the stick in the air fryer basket and repeat the process with the remaining eggplant sticks.
- Before cooking, lightly spray the tops of the eggplant with olive oil cooking spray.
- Finally, cook for eight minutes at 400 degrees F, flipping them halfway through cooking. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
- Instead of Parmesan you can use Asiago or Parmigiano Reggiano.
- Also, instead of Panko bread crumbs you can use Italian bread crumbs.
Serving and Storage Tips
SERVE: You can keep these out for about two hours before they need to be covered and refrigerated.
STORE: These are best eaten immediately, but if you need to store them, place them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
FREEZE: You can freeze these eggplant fries, but only before air frying them. Once they are coated in the egg and Panko mixture, place them on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment or wax paper. Freeze until they are frozen solid, about 60-90 minutes, and then transfer them to a freezer-safe plastic bag. Freeze for 1-2 months.
AIR FRY FROM FROZEN: Place in the air fryer and cook at 400 degrees F for 12-15 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking.
- Mixing bowls
- Mixing spoon
- Air Fryer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cutting board
- Chef’s knife
There is no need to peel the eggplant before cutting it into sticks and coating them in the Panko mixture. The peel can be eaten and is full of additional nutrients.
If you do not have Panko breadcrumbs, you can substitute regular breadcrumbs or some that you have made. Just note it will alter the overall taste of the fries slightly as Panko breadcrumbs are pre-seasoned.
More Side Dishes
- Salsa Verde
- Chipotle Pico De Gallo Copycat
- Rice Pilaf with Orzo
- Healthy Mashed Cauliflower
- Buttery Smoked Corn on the Cob
- Grilled Pineapple
- Italian Salad
- Oven Roasted Broccoli
- Skillet Green Beans
Air Fryer Eggplant Fries
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumb
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large eggs
FOR THE EGGPLANT:
- 1 eggplant sliced into ½ sticks
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Mix together Panko breadcrumb, Parmesan, and garlic powder in a bowl.
- In a second bowl, whisk together the eggs.
SPRAY AIR FRYER:
- Spray the bottom of the air fryer’s basket with olive oil cooking spray.
- Take one stick at a time and dip it in the eggs.
- Transfer the stick to the panko mixture bowl and press the stick on all sides, so it’s covered with the Panko mixture.
- Add the coated eggplant to the air fryer basket.
- Repeat with the remaining eggplant sticks.
- Lightly spray the tops of the eggplant with olive oil cooking spray.
- Cook at 400˚F for 8 minutes in the air fryer, flipping them halfway through cooking.
- Serve hot with marinara sauce.