The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Craving more green chile dishes? Be sure to take a look at my other recipes using green chiles to get your green chile fix satisfied! The first one I would look at is this Cheesy Green Chile Cornbread. It’s delish! Another one of my favorites is the Green Chile White Queso Dip. These Crockpot Green Chile Pinto Beans is another favorite using green chiles because it is such a versatile dish. Ok one last favorite option, (I obviously love green chiles!) that I would love for you to try is this New Mexico style green chile chicken enchilada recipe. I would love to hear what your favorite green chile recipe is!
Green Chile Cheesy Potato Casserole Questions Answered:
How do you reheat cheesy potato casserole?
To reheat the casserole, cover it with foil and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake it for 25-30 minutes. Reheating the potato casserole in the oven is always the best option but you can reheat it in the microwave if you are short on time.
How do you make green chile cheesy potato casserole?
First preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Next, defrost the potatoes and melt the butter. In a large bowl combine the ingredients and then pour the bowl into the pan. Then bake it for 1 hour until it is golden brown. Finally, cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Should I thaw frozen hash browns before cooking?
Yes you should defrost the hash browns before cooking them in the potato casserole. As a little food prep, you can pull them out of the freezer the night before and place them in the fridge to defrost for 8 hours. Before adding them to the rest of the ingredients just quickly dab them dry.
Cook’s Note – Green Chile Cheesy Potato Casserole:
- You can make this cheesy potato casserole ahead of time. Follow the recipe up to step 3, then cover it with foil and refrigerate until you’re ready to bake it. You will need to increase the cooking time by 15-25 minutes, and then proceed with the remaining recipe instructions.
- This cheesy potato casserole can also be frozen. Simply prepare the recipe up to step 3, then cover it with foil and freeze. You will need to defrost the casserole before baking it, and add about 15 minutes to the cooking time. Then proceed with the remaining recipe instructions.
- When I made this recipe recently I used reduced fat sour cream, light butter, and cream of mushroom soup and it came out just as yummy. Also, if you can’t find hash browns with the bell peppers or onions already in them, you just add ½ cup of each (chopped of course).
Green Chile Cheesy Potato Casserole
- 28 oz package frozen hash brown potatoes O'Brien shredded or diced, defrosted
- ½ cup butter melted
- 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 4 oz cans chopped green chiles
- Salt and pepper to taste
- sliced green onion
- Move oven rack to middle position and preheat to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In large bowl mix together all ingredients until combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or until golden brown and bubbly around edges. Cool 5 minutes, then garnish with a couple light shakes of paprika, and sliced green onion. Serve.
This post first appeared on Food Folks and Fun on January 13, 2011. I have since updated the pictures and the post.