THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
These Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes are the easiest and the best side dish or breakfast dish for any get-together! This recipe serves eight and costs $6.67 to make. That’s just 83¢ per serving!
Do you find yourself spending so much time cooking the main dish that you don’t have time to put some delicious side dishes together? Me too! With the craziness of daily life, I need some easy side dish recipes that I can set and forget. These Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes fit the bill perfectly.
You can throw all the ingredients for these Cheesy Potatoes in the crockpot and then focus on your main dish, how easy is that? Life is so complicated and hectic at times that it is so lovely to have one less thing to worry about during the day.
This recipe brings two of my favorite things together in the Crock-Pot: cheesy goodness and potatoes. It makes the perfect side dish for any Sunday dinner, Easter, a weeknight meal during the week, or any potluck that you need to bring a side dish!
Here’s what some readers are saying about this recipe!
David said, These came out great! I wouldn’t have thought to make potatoes in the crockpot prior to reading this.
Dayna said, These are the best crockpot cheesy potatoes!
Krissy A. said, Potatoes and cheese are like my two favorite foods and the crockpot is a lifesaver – especially this time of year. Such a great recipe!
Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes Recipe Questions Answered:
Can you reheat cheesy potatoes?
You can quickly reheat these cheesy potatoes by first placing them in an oven-safe container. Then cover them with a piece of foil and put them in the oven, which you have preheated to 350 degrees. Place the cheesy potatoes on the middle rack and bake for 15-20 minutes. Or until the potatoes are warmed all the way through.
How do you make Cheesy Potatoes from scratch?
- First, spray your Crock-Pot lightly with cooking spray then dump all the ingredients, except for the toppings into the crockpot.
- Next, stir until combined, and no sour cream streaks remain. Cook on low for 5 hours or low for 3 hours.
- Finally, 15 minutes before serving, top the potatoes with shredded cheese and green onions. Serve when the cheese topping is nice and melty.
How do you make cheesy potatoes in the oven?
If time is an issue, you can make this Cheesy Potato recipe in the oven instead of the Crock-Pot. Here’s how:
- Place all of the ingredients into a lightly greased 9-13-inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-60 minutes, or until bubbly and starting to brown in spots.
What to pair with cheesy potatoes?
Here are a few delicious recipes from my site that will be perfect with this recipe.
These cheesy potatoes are decadent, insanely easy to make, and make an appearance on every holiday table! These are also great for potlucks and parties.
COOK’S NOTE – CROCKPOT CHEESY POTATOES:
- Your slow cooker must have a 4 quart capacity or larger for this recipe.
- You can double this recipe, just make sure you add 2 hours to the LOW cooking time, and 1 hour to the HIGH cooking time.
- You can prep this recipe ahead of time and store the slow cooker insert in your refrigerator until you’re ready to start cooking the cheesy hashbrown potatoes.
- When I’m making these for breakfast, sometimes I throw in some leftover, cooked bacon, or even some cooked breakfast sausage to the mix. Sometimes I also add some veggies like diced bell pepper or canned green chiles.
COOK’S TOOLS – CHEESY POTATO RECIPE:
How much will this recipe cost?
RECIPE COST: $6.67
PER SERVING COST: $0.83
NOTE: I calculate the recipe prices by using name brand grocery prices on grocery store websites.
- 32- ounce bag frozen cubed hash brown potatoes $2.89
- 10.75- ounce can cream of chicken soup $0.94
- 1 cup sour cream $1.44
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese $0.96
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter melted $0.20
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onions $0.15
- 1 teaspoon chicken granules or 1 smashed bouillon cube $0.08
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper $0.01
More potato side dishes:
- 3-Cheese Potatoes Au Gratin
- Bacon Avocado Potato Salad
- Best Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Green Chile Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Loaded Baked Potato Chicken Casserole
- Potato Salad Bake
- Summer’s Best Potato Salad
Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes
- 1 32- ounce bag frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 1 10.75- ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter melted
- ¼ cup diced yellow onions
- 1 teaspoon chicken granules or 1 smashed bouillon cube
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- sliced green onions
- Use non-stick cooking spray to lightly grease your slow cooker insert. Dump all of the ingredients, except for the toppings, into the greased slow cooker.
- Stir until combined and no sour cream streaks remain. Cover with the lid and cook on LOW for 5 hours or HIGH for 3 hours.
- 15 minutes before serving, top with shredded cheddar and green onions (if using). Serve once the cheese topping is good and melty.
This post first appeared on FFF on September 27, 2018, I have since added a recipe video and updated the content.