The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Cucumber Tomato Feta Salad is an easy and refreshing classic side dish for summer. It’s ready in less than 10 minutes.
For only $5.00, you can make this salad to serve six. That works out to be about $0.83 per serving. You can make this salad even cheaper by using tomatoes and cucumbers from your summertime garden!
For another light and refreshing cucumber salad option, try this Creamy Cucumber Salad with Radish and Dill.
This healthy, low-carb salad is the perfect light and refreshing salad for a warm summer’s night. It is full of fresh flavors that are simple to put together. You can even make it the day before and let it chill overnight to be ready the next day for a potluck or BBQ.
This salad has a Greek flavor from all the feta cheese combined with the cucumbers and tomatoes. Top it with a simple dressing, and the result is a crisp, juicy, flavorful salad with every bite.
Ingredients and Cost
Per Serving Cost: $0.83
Recipe Cost: $5.00
- 4 vine-ripe tomatoes – $1.38
- 1 medium cucumber – $0.48
- ¼ cup olive oil – $0.56
- ½ large red onion – $0.70
- 2 teaspoons sea salt – $0.08
- ½ cup crumbled feta – $1.70
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground black pepper – $0.10
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- First, cut the vegetables into wedges and slices.
- Next, place the vegetables in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and add in feta. Season with salt and pepper.
- Finally, toss to coat the veggies evenly in the olive oil and to spread the feta before serving.
- If you like vinegar with your tomato and cucumber salad, leave out the feta and add 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar in its place.
- You can add kalamata olives, 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning, 2 Tablespoons of red or white wine vinegar, and 1 Tablespoon of fresh minced oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried oregano) to make a chunky Greek salad.
- Sometimes I add sliced fennel for an extra punch of flavor.
- If you like more of one vegetable over the other, by all means, adjust the portions to your preferences. That’s the great thing about this salad; they’re almost impossible to ruin.
Storage and Recipe Tips
SERVE: You can keep this salad out for 2 hours before it will need to be refrigerated.
STORE: Keep covered in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Pour off the excess liquid that is released from the tomatoes and cucumber before serving.
FREEZE: Tomatoes and cucumbers do not freeze and defrost well, so I do not recommend freezing this salad.
MAKE AHEAD: You can make this salad 24 hours in advance. Just pour off the excess liquid accumulated from the cucumber and tomatoes while the salad sits in the refrigerator.
- Cutting board
- Chef’s knife
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl
I always opt for a full brick of Feta and crumble it with my hands or with a fork. Real Greek Feta is my favorite brand. It is a little hard to come by, but you can buy it from Amazon. Other favorites are Boar’s Head, Dodoni, and Nikos.
Feta cheese can go bad but it will stay fresh for up to three months if it is not opened.
Store your opened feta cheese in an airtight container to avoid exposure to air. When feta cheese is exposed to air it will dry the cheese out.
More Salad Recipes
- Cobb Salad
- Italian Salad with Italian Dressing
- Cold Italian Pasta Salad
- Spinach Salad – a Costco Copycat
- Three Bean Salad with Vidalia Onion Dressing
- Food Truck Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
- Loaded Summer Salad
- Frog Eye Salad
- Poppy Seed Pasta Salad
Cucumber Tomato Feta Salad
- 4 vine-ripe tomatoes
- 1 medium cucumber
- ⅓ large red onion
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Slice the tomatoes into wedges, slice the cucumber into ¼-inch thick slices, and cut the red onion into thin slices.
- Place the vegetables in a medium bowl.
- Drizzle the veggies with olive oil and add in feta, salt, and pepper.
- Toss to coat the veggies in olive oil and evenly distribute the feta.
- Serve immediately or chill up to 24 hours before serving.