This Panzanella Salad is a bread salad made with ciabatta bread, arugula, cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, basil, capers, and an easy homemade vinaigrette.
For about $8.28, you can make 8 servings of this salad. That is only $1.04 per serving.
This Tuscan-style salad is the perfect summer salad full of fresh ingredients topped with a simple dressing. Panzanella Salad is a refreshing, bold salad made with Italian bread and ripe, juicy tomatoes.
The crunchy texture from the toasted bread pieces mixed with the fresh, bold ingredients makes this salad hearty and satisfying. This recipe is one to keep on rotation throughout the summer!
Ingredients and Cost
Per Serving Cost: $1.04
Recipe Cost: $8.28
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard – $0.04
- ½ lemon – $0.24
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning – $0.13
- 1 garlic clove – $0.05
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt – $0.01
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil + 2 Tablespoons – $1.44
- 1 loaf Ciabatta or French bread – $0.99
- 2 cups arugula – $1.38
- 1 English cucumber – $0.48
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes – $1.97
- ½ small red onion – $0.35
- 2 Tablespoons chopped basil leaves – $1.20
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- First, make the vinaigrette. Whisk together the ingredients and set aside until ready to use.
- Next, bake the bread for 10-12 minutes. Chop the veggies while the bread is cooling.
- Assemble the salad in a large bowl. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and toss to combine.
- Finally, season with salt and pepper and serve.
- During the summer, I LOVE using tomatoes from the garden in this recipe. Besides cherry tomatoes, you can use beefsteak, heirloom, grape tomatoes, Roma, etc.
- Instead of an English cucumber, you can use any variety of cucumber.
- For the Panzanella salad dressing, you can use lemon juice or red wine vinegar.
SERVE: Serve chilled or at room temperature. You can make the Panzanella up to one hour before serving. Any longer than this and the bread will start to become soggy.
STORE: I do not recommend storing the salad for longer than an hour.
FREEZE: This salad does not freeze and defrost well, so please don’t freeze it!
- Mixing bowls
- Cutting board
- Chef’s knife
- Measuring cups and spoons
Panzanella does not keep well in the fridge after it is made as the bread will become soggy. It is best to eat this all in one sitting.
This light and refreshing salad is versatile enough to be served as a light dinner or filling enough for an afternoon lunch.
More Salad Recipes
- Southwest Pasta Salad
- Cobb Salad
- Black Bean and Corn Salad
- Poppy Seed Pasta Salad
- Mexican Corn Salad
- Garden Bean Salad
- Taquito & Tamale Taco Salad
- Barbecue Chicken Entree Salad
- Simple Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad
- Easy Pasta Salad
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE:
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ of a lemon juiced
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 large garlic clove grated
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 loaf French or ciabatta bread cut into 1” cubes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups arugula or watercress
- 1 English cucumber sliced (not peeled)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ small red onion sliced into very thin half-moons
- 2 Tablespoons basil leaves finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon capers drained (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, grated garlic, and salt. Slowly drizzle the olive oil while whisking. Continue whisking until the vinaigrette has become smooth and the oil is fully incorporated. Set aside until ready to use.
- Move the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Add the bread to a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to combine.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown and crisp, turning the bread halfway through cooking.
- Allow the bread to cool before assembling the salad. This will be a good time to chop all of the veggies.
- Add the cooled bread cubes, arugula, cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, basil, and capers in a large bowl.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette and toss to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.