This Cream of Mushroom Soup substitute recipe is a delicious base for casseroles. After you taste this soup, you’ll never buy the condensed canned soup ever again!
For only $2.54, you can make this Cream of Mushroom Soup Base, which is great to use in a recipe like this Crockpot Roast with Mushrooms or any other of your favorite casserole recipes.
Cream of Mushroom Soup
You will absolutely ditch the can when you realize just how simple it is to make Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup. The rich, savory, and earthy flavor is everything that a soup should be.
Making this soup at home is healthier and creamier than the canned version. And it only takes about 10 minutes to make. This can be stored in the fridge and then used as a substitute for a can of Cream of Mushroom Soup in any casserole recipe to make it even tastier.
What is the difference between cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup?
Cream of mushroom soup and cream of chicken soup has the same basic base ingredients. However, as you would expect, one uses chicken, and one uses mushrooms. The two can typically be used interchangeably in various recipes.
Can I use cream of celery soup instead of cream of mushroom soup?
How to make Cream of Mushroom Soup:
STEP ONE: First, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
STEP TWO: Then, whisk in the flour to make a paste. Stir and cook for one minute.
STEP THREE: Next, whisk in the chicken stock and mix until smooth.
STEP FOUR: Stir in the seasonings. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until thickened.
STEP FIVE: Finally, stir in the mushrooms, then remove from heat to cool. Place in an airtight container to store in the fridge.
- Measuring spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
- Medium saucepan
How long is it good for:
SERVE: You can keep this at room temperature for up to 2 hours before it will need to be refrigerated.
STORE: Keep this chicken condensed soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 1 week.
FREEZE: You can freeze this recipe in a freezer-safe container or Ziploc bag for 3-4 months. To do so, make sure the cream of celery soup is completely cooled before placing it in a container. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight, and then heat in a saucepan until heated through. If the soup separates, then blend the soup with an immersion blender or pour it into a regular blender and blend until it comes together.
How much will this Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe cost to make:
RECIPE COST: $2.54
PER SERVING COST: $0.85
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- ½ cup unsalted butter – $0.80
- 6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour – $0.12
- ½ cup button mushrooms – $0.47
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock – $0.33
- 1 teaspoon salt – $0.01
- ½ teaspoon pepper – $0.03
- ½ teaspoon onion powder – $0.02
More Soup Recipes:
- Easy Chicken Barley Soup
- Copycat Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana
- Thick and Creamy Potato Soup
- Tomato Soup
- Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup
- Pantry Chicken Taco Soup
- Crockpot Tuscan White Bean Soup
- Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Slow cooker Ham Chowder
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Vegetable Soup
- Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Soup
Cream of Mushroom Soup Base
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup milk or half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup mushrooms chopped small and sauteed
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour, so it makes a paste. Continue stirring and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in chicken stock and milk until smooth.
- Add salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Stir until combined.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 2-4 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Serve or cool completely.
- Place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.