Get your carrot cake fix with this healthy and delicious Carrot Cake Muffins recipe. These carrot muffins are the perfect spring recipe for breakfast on the go!
I LOVE CARROT CAKE! I just can’t get enough of it, I love everything about it carrot cake: the spice cake, the bits of delicious carrot, the nuts, and of course, the cream cheese frosting! Carrot cake isn’t the healthiest choice, but it’s just so good! And this is where my Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins Recipe comes in.
To satisfy my constant carrot cake craving, I came up with this healthy muffin recipe. My family loves these so much; I’ve made them every week this month!
Cook’s Note – Healthy Carrot Muffins Recipe
- Over-mixing will make these muffins tough. Just mix until no more flour streaks remain, a few little lumps are okay.
- My recipe uses pecans, but you can either leave them out or use walnuts instead–whatever your preference.
- These muffins will keep, covered, at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links.
Cook’s Tools & Ingredients – Carrot Muffins:
- box grater
- mixing bowls
- muffin tin
- paper liners
- wire rack
- whole wheat pastry flour
- sugar in the raw
- golden raisins
Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins Recipe
- 2 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup + 2 Tablespoons raw brown sugar turbinado sugar divided
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 ⅓ cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups peeled and grated carrots grated on small holes of box grater
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ⅔ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F with the oven rack in the middle position. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. In a small bowl or large measuring cup, add the eggs, 1/3 cup of the sugar, canola oil, buttermilk, and vanilla extract. Whisk until well combined.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour in the wet ingredients. Whisk until combined, but don't over beat (that will make the muffins tough!). Fold in the carrots, raisins, and pecans.
- Distribute the batter evenly among the muffin cups, filling them about 4/5 of the way full. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining raw brown sugar. Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted comes out with just a couple moist crumbs.
This Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins recipe was first published on March 28, 2015. Here are some of the original pictures:
Do you love Carrot Cake? Check out more of my Carrot Cake recipes!
- Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies with Toasted Coconut
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake Cake – a Cheesecake Factory Copycat
- Emergency Carrot Cake
- Carrot Cake Cookie Bars