The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
These Mini Sweet Potato Pies are made with premade pie crust, a perfectly spiced sweet potato filling, and topped with whipped cream or marshmallow fluff. This recipe makes 48 mini pies, and they’re the perfect little bites for your Thanksgiving dessert buffet.
The price of this recipe is $4.60. It makes sixteen servings for approximately $0.29 per serving.
Sometimes pumpkin pies steal the show at Thanksgiving, but what if you are not a fan of pumpkin pie but still want pie?
If you are in this boat, then Sweet Potato Pie is an excellent option for you. It is a sweet filling with warm spices and topped with whipped cream (or Marshmallow Fluff) in mini pie crusts.
These easy bite-size treats travel well and are definite crowd-pleasers. They make the perfect dessert for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any holiday party. Make these fun hand-held desserts today, and you will be grateful you did!
Ingredients and Cost
Per Serving Cost: $0.29
Recipe Cost: $4.60
- 3 medium sweet potatoes – $0.88
- ¼ cup light brown sugar – $0.12
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream – $0.14
- 1 and ¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract – $0.31
- ½ teaspoon salt – $0.01
- 1 (14 oz) package premade pie crusts – $2.37
- ¾ cup whipped cream OR marshmallow fluff – $0.72
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- First, wash the sweet potatoes and poke them with a fork. Set the potatoes on a plate and microwave them for 8 to 14 minutes until they are tender.
- Next, roll out the dough. Then use a 2 ½ -inch round cookie cutter to cut out 24 circles.
- Then, place the crust circles into an ungreased mini muffin tin well.
- After cooking the potatoes, peel the sweet potatoes and add the flesh to a mixing bowl.
- Next, add the sugar, heavy cream, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt, mixing until fully combined.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Use a cookie scoop to add the sweet potato filling into the pie crusts. Smooth the filling into the crusts with a rubber spatula.
- Then, bake for 15-18 minutes. Remove the pies from the oven to cool for 45 minutes.
- Finally, top with whipped cream and cinnamon. Serve and enjoy.
- These can also be topped with mini marshmallows or fluff and toasted, however the fluff is a little runny so just a small dollop is good.
- You can use dark brown sugar or granulated sugar in this recipe. They will change the flavor slightly but still be delicious.
- A homemade crust recipe can be used in place of premade crusts.
- This recipe can be made in a regular muffin pan, the crust will need to be cut with a 4½-5 inch cookie cutter. And the bake time will need to be increased to 20 to 25 minutes. It should make about 20 to 24 pies of that size.
- This recipe can be halved.
SERVE: Serve with whipped cream, Cool Whip, or Marshmallow Fluff. You can even add a dash of cinnamon op top.
STORE: You can keep these at room temperature for about 2-3 days, just cover them loosely with plastic wrap or foil. You can store them covered in the refrigerator for 4-6 days.
FREEZE: Place the mini pies on a baking sheet and freeze for 1-2 hours or until frozen solid. Then, transfer the pies to a freezer-safe Ziploc bag for about 1 months.
DEFROST: Place the frozen pies on a platter and defrost them at room temperature for 1-3 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Muffin tin
- Rubber spatula
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Rolling pin
- 2 ½ inch round cookie cutter
- Parchment paper
- Wire rack
- 1Tablespoon scoop
Sweet potato pie is a well-known and well-loved dessert that originated in the southern part of the United States. It is most often served at Thanksgiving and Christmas instead of or in addition to a pumpkin pie.
People typically confuse yams and sweet potatoes. However, most yams are just a variety of sweet potatoes.
More Thanksgiving Recipes
- Fried Apples
- Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
- Homemade Dinner Rolls
- Frog Eye Salad
- Pistachio Salad
- Brown Sugar and Honey Glazed Carrots
- Thanksgiving Salad
- Best Baked Mac and Cheese
- Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole
- Bacon and Apple Stuffing
Mini Sweet Potato Pies
SWEET POTATO FILLING:
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- ¼ cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 14 oz package premade pie crusts the package will have (2) 9-inch crusts
- ¾ cup freshly whipped whipped cream OR marshmallow fluff
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
PREP AND COOK SWEET POTATOES:
- Wash, dry, and poke the sweet potatoes all over with a fork.
- Then, place the potatoes on a plate and microwave for 8 to 14 minutes until they are fork tender, flipping the sweet potatoes over halfway through cooking.
PREP MINI PIE CRUSTS:
- While the potatoes cook, prepare the crusts by rolling out the dough on a lightly floured surface. You’ll want to roll the dough out quite a bit as you don’t need it to be as thick as it is out of the box because the pies are so small.
- Add a small strips of parchment under each one to help get the mini pies out after baking.
- Use a 2½- inch round biscuit or cookie cutter to cut out 24 circles from each sheet of pie crust. Gently press each circle of pie crust into an ungreased mini muffin tin well.
MAKE SWEET POTATO FILLING:
- Once cooked, peel the sweet potatoes and add the flesh to a large mixing bowl. Use a hand masher, hand mixer, or stick blender (for smoothest filling) to mash the sweet potatoes.
- Once the potatoes are smooth, add the sugar, heavy cream, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt and mix until fully combined.
FILL AND BAKE:
- Move the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Use a small 1-Tablespoon cookie scoop or 2 spoons to add the sweet potato filling into the prepared pie crusts, about 1 tablespoon of filling each.
- Use the back of a spoon or rubber spatula to gently smooth the filling into the crusts.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking.
COOL AND SERVE:
- Remove the mini pies from the oven and transfer them to wire racks to cool for 45 minutes.
- Once cooled, top with whipped cream or marshmallow fluff and cinnamon.
- Serve and enjoy!