These Swedish Meatballs are the perfect bites for game day, holidays, or even meal time. You can even make this Swedish Meatball recipe ahead of time or as a main dish!
Disclosure: This post for Swedish Meatball recipe includes affiliate links. See the rest of Food Folks and Fun’s disclosure policy here.
Swedish Meatball Recipe
Today I’m sharing my new favorite appetizer with you, Swedish Meatballs. I love making these for everything from game day to holiday. They’re always a crowd favorite and they make a TON. I’m talking 60 cocktail-sized meatballs! I also like serving leftover the next night for dinner over buttered noodles, YUM!
How to Make these Swedish Meatballs ahead of time:
- The Swedish Meatballs and sauce can be prepared and refrigerated separately for up to 3 days. To finish, transfer meatballs to slow cooker. Microwave sauce on high power, stirring every 30 seconds until heated through, about 3 minutes. Pour sauce over meatballs and heat with slow cooker on low until heated through.
How to Make this Swedish Meatball recipe a Meal:
- Serve these meatballs as a main course by spooning them over steamed white rice or buttered egg noodles. As a meal, these meatballs will serve 8 people.
Cook’s Note – Swedish Meatballs:
- Look for the rye bread in the bakery section of the grocery store, not on the sandwich bread aisle.
Cook’s Tools – Swedish Meatballs:
ONE YEAR AGO: Cornbread Casserole
TWO YEARS AGO: Pull Apart Potato Rolls
THREE YEARS AGO: Cranberry Limeade Mocktail
Swedish Cocktail Meatballs
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions minced
- 4 slices caraway-rye bread crusts removed, torn into pieces
- 3 ½ cups beef broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 large egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh dill + more for garnish
- Move oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 475 degrees F. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Transfer onions to a large bowl and add bread, ¼ cup broth, ¼ cup sour cream, yolks, allspice, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Mix and mash with a fork until smooth and well blended. Add ground beef and pork. Roll up your sleeves and knead mixture with hands until ingredients are well combined.
- Line a standard-sized rimmed cookie sheet with foil. Set wire rack inside medium baking sheet and lightly spray rack with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. Roll meat mixture into 1 ¼-inch meatballs (you should have about 60 meatballs) and place them on prepared wire rack. Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Transfer meatballs to slow cooker.
- Melt remaining butter in large skillet over medium heat. Whisk flour into melted butter and cook until mixture starts to brown, about 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in remaining broth. Bring mixture up to a boil and then pour it over meatballs in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until sauce is slightly thickened and meatballs are tender, about 4-5 hours.
- Ladle ½ cup of sauce from slow cooker to small bowl. Whisk in remaining sour cream, soy sauce, and dill. Gently stir mixture back into slow cooker; serve with extra dill as garnish. (*If desired, meatballs can be held in slow cooker on low, partially covered, for 1 to 2 hours. Stir meatballs occasionally, adding up to 2 tablespoons water as needed to thin sauce.)
Source: slightly adapted from Cook’s Illustrated