This homemade Peppermint Patty Candy is a refreshing holiday treat perfect for Christmas cookie trays and gifting. These Peppermint Patties have a creamy peppermint center that’s covered in semi-sweet chocolate.
It only costs $3.51 to get your hands on these creamy Peppermint treats. The recipe makes 16 patties, which is only $0.21 per patty!
Peppermint Patty Candy
A cool York Peppermint Patty is a delicious treat that everyone loves. I love them so much I wanted to create my own version to whip up anytime I crave them.
I love to make these during the holidays and include them on a cookie tray or bring them to a Holiday party. But I do crave them throughout the year, which is perfect since I can make them anytime I want!
These Peppermint Patties are soft and creamy on the inside and covered in dark chocolate on the outside. With little prep work and a few ingredients, you will have smooth and sweet Peppermint Patties this holiday season.
Are Peppermint Patties good for you?
All things in moderation, right? This candy is a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth for only a few calories. There are 233 calories per peppermint patty.
What are peppermint patties made of?
This recipe uses the following ingredients: powdered sugar, butter, heavy cream, chocolate chips, peppermint extract, and shortening.
What is the white stuff in a York Peppermint Patty?
The white stuff is a delicious layer of cream that is peppermint flavored. The cool cream is then dipped in chocolate. The combo is cool, fresh, and delicious!
How to make Homemade Peppermint Patties Candy:
STEP ONE: First, make the peppermint filling.
STEP TWO: Then place the filling on a piece of parchment paper, rolling it into a log. Place in the freezer to chill for about twenty minutes.
STEP THREE: Next, using a sharp knife, cut the log into ½ inch thick pieces. Roll the pieces into a ball.
STEP FOUR: Flatten the ball into a circular disc. Place the discs on a baking sheet and then place the pan in the fridge.
STEP FIVE: Next, melt the chocolate coating until smooth. Dip a patty into the melted chocolate. Let the candy sit until fully hardened.
STEP SIX: Serve and enjoy!
***For full instructions, check out the recipe video in the recipe card below!
Ingrediends and Cost
RECIPE COST: $3.51
PER SERVING COST: $0.21
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- 2 ½ -3 cups powdered sugar – $0.87
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter – $0.30
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream – $0.21
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract – $0.12
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract – $0.15
- 1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips – $1.74
- 1 Tablespoon shortening – $0.12
More Holiday Desserts:
- Soft Gingerbread Cookies
- Loaded Peppermint Cookies
- Gingerbread Oreo Truffles
- Peppermint Bark Sugar Cookie Pie
- Andes Mint Cheesecake Dip
- Gingerbread Cheesecake Dip
- Chewy Gingerbread Bars
- Hanging Gingerbread Cookies
- Pecan Pie Bars
- Cranberry Bliss Bars
- Spiced Creme Brulee
- Peppermint Bark Brownies
- Gingerbread Cupcakes
- Old Fashioned Fudge
- Butter Pecan Fudge
Peppermint Patty Candy
- 2 ½ – 3 cups powdered sugar plus some for dusting
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 oz bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable shortening
- Additional chocolate for drizzle optional
MAKE PEPPERMINT FILLING:
- In a large bowl, beat on medium speed, 2 cups powdered sugar, and butter until well combined.
- Gradually add heavy cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until well combined. Add peppermint and vanilla extracts and beat until well combined.
- Gradually add more powdered sugar until the mixture is stiff.
- Place peppermint filling on a piece of parchment paper and roll it into a log that is about 2 inches in circumference.
- Place the filling in the freezer to chill for about 20-30 minutes or in the refrigerator overnight.
CUT AND SHAPE FILLING:
- Using a sharp knife, cut the log into pieces about 1⁄2 inch thick and roll them into a ball using powdered sugar if the dough is sticky.
- Using a glass dipped in powdered sugar, gently flatten the ball into a circular disc.
- Place the discs on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Return the discs to the refrigerator while you prepare the chocolate.
MAKE CHOCOLATE COATING:
- Add chocolate and shortening to a microwave-safe bowl and heat at 50% power for 30 seconds. Stir and continue heating for 20-30 seconds at a time and stirring after each heating.
- Stop just before the chocolate is completely melted. Stir the chocolate until smooth.
- Line another baking sheet with parchment paper
ASSEMBLE PEPPERMINT PATTY CANDY:
- Remove patties a few at a time from the refrigerator and dip into melted chocolate.
- Let the candy sit until fully hardened. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.