Chicken and Gnocchi Soup Olive Garden Copycat Recipe

Disclosure: This Chicken and Gnocchi Soup Olive Garden Copycat Recipe includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy the item after clicking my link. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep this blog running. See the rest of Food Folks and Fun’s disclosure policy here.

Chicken and Gnocchi Soup Olive Garden Copycat RecipeChicken and Gnocchi Soup Olive Garden Copycat Recipe

No need to spend hours at the stove slaving away for this recipe, 30 minutes in all you need for this Chicken and Gnocchi Soup Olive Garden Copycat Recipe. This has been one of the most popular recipes on my blog for years. Try it, I know you’ll love it!
Chicken and Gnocchi Soup Olive Garden Copycat Recipe

Cook’s Note for Chicken and Gnocchi Soup Olive Garden Copycat Recipe:

• You can “lighten” this soup by using 2 cups of half and half and 2 cups of milk. I bet you can even use just milk and it’ll still taste great.
  • For this recipe you can cook up your chicken breasts and then dice them, or you can you can shred some rotisserie chicken (this is what I did).
  • You can find the gnocchi in a couple of different places in your supermarket, my local stores sells shelf stable potato gnocchi where dry pasta is sold. In high-end grocery stores I have seen this sold in the fresh sections where refrigerated ravioli or tortellini are sold.
Chicken and Gnocchi Soup Olive Garden Copycat Recipe
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:

A fantastic copycat recipe of Olive Garden’s Chicken & Gnocchi Soup. The best part, it’s ready in 30 minutes!
  • 4 T butter
  • 1 large yellow onion, small diced
  • 1 C celery, small diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • ¼ cup flour
  • 1 quart half and half
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 1½ cup carrots, finely shredded
  • 1 cup fresh spinach, roughly chopped
  • ¼ teaspoon thyme
  • ½ teaspoon parsley
  • 1 cup chicken, cooked and diced
  • Freshly grated Parmesan cheese – for garnish
  • 1 pound package gnocchi
  • salt & pepper to taste
  1. In a large soup pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent and lightly browned around the edges, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds.
  2. Sprinkle in the flour and whisk to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Whisk in the flour until there are no more lumps and simmer until thickened.
  3. Slowly whisk in the half and half and simmer until thickened, about 4-6 minutes. Whisk in the chicken broth and simmer until thickened again, about 2-4 minutes.
  4. Add the Carrots, spinach leaves, thyme, parsley, chicken, and gnocchi. Continue to cook until all the ingredients are just heated through.
  5. Season with salt and pepper, serve.

Source: adapted from CopyKat

Other Copycat Recipes:

Follow me on: Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram & G+.

Below are my original photos when I made this soup a few years back. I finally got around to updating the pictures.

1. says

I always love finding copy cat recipes! I will definitely have to give this one a try! Thank you for linking up to Katie’s Cucina weekly link party!

2. Kirstin says

Yum! Thanks for sharing. I had this at Olive Garden and actually was disappointed and said to myself “I bet I could make this at home and make it better”. I’m going to try your recipe!!! I LOVE gnocchi

3. says

I halfed the veggies and doubled the meat for my husband who LOVES this soup at Olive Garden. I also used 2 c. of half&half with 2 c. of 2%Milk. He loved it! It smelled great and he was so excited! Thanks so much for a happy and full husband!

4. says

My daughter made this soup for me the last time she came to visit. The best soup I’ve ever tasted! All it needed was a little salt and it was perfect!

5. Sharon Owens says

My husband loves Olive Garden’s chicken and gnocchi soup. This recipe sounds so easy! Also, I have those same bowls. So, I’m going to have to make this!

6. says

I made this soup for my fussy “gourmet cook” husband. We both loved it and it tasted just like the soup I had at Olive Garden. I made home-made gnocchi and it was wonderful! thanks for the recipe. Maryann

7. Cassandra Bladen says

You have made my day. I have been goingto the resturant twice a week for this soup. I am making it for dinner and freezer tomorrow. You have saved me big bucks!!!!

8. Geri says

I just finished eating this, & it was quite good. Mine thickened up, so it was more like a stew. Since the receipe doesn’t call for salt & pepper, you have to season to taste.

9. em says

So good! But a lot thicker than olive gardens – too much flour maybe? Or maybe Next time I might try doing half milk and half half-and-half like another commenter mentioned. Anyway it tasted delicious, just like olive gardens :) thanks for the recipe!

10. says

My husband LOVES Olive Garden’s version of this soup so I decided to give it a try on a cold winter’s day. He said this recipe is just as yummy. I used real butter and half & half, so it wasn’t low cal or low fat, but it was super high in flavor. I’ll definitely make it again. Wondering if it would freeze well.

11. Shirley says

As a newcomer to this site, I am curious as to how to make homemade gnocci that doesn’t taste doughy. Any chance that someone will take pity on me and give me some tips? I would be most grateful. AS you see, I didn’t even spell it right. Can’t wait to try the soup!! Thanks for any help.
    Shirley, North Olmsted OH

• says

Julie, you just made my day with your comment! I am SO glad your family loved the soup, it’s one of my favorites as well. Hope to see you here again soon. :)

12. Debbie Toloczko says

Made this few days ago and I was good when I tasted it. We sat down three days later to enjoy and it took on a whole different meaning
    It was the bomb! It was right on after a few days five star from a person who makes homemade soup weekly year round.n