Disclosure: This Chicken and Gnocchi Soup Olive Garden Copycat Recipe includes affiliate links, this means I make a few cents if you buy the item after clicking my link. This costs you nothing, but it helps keep this blog running. See the rest of Food Folks and Fun’s disclosure policy here.
Cook’s Note for Chicken and Gnocchi Soup Olive Garden Copycat Recipe:
- You can “lighten” this soup by using 2 cups of half and half and 2 cups of milk. I bet you can even use just milk and it’ll still taste great.
- For this recipe you can cook up your chicken breasts and then dice them, or you can you can shred some rotisserie chicken (this is what I did).
- You can find the gnocchi in a couple of different places in your supermarket, my local stores sells shelf stable potato gnocchi where dry pasta is sold. In high-end grocery stores I have seen this sold in the fresh sections where refrigerated ravioli or tortellini are sold.
- 4 T butter
- 1 large yellow onion, small diced
- 1 C celery, small diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 quart half and half
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1½ cup carrots, finely shredded
- 1 cup fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon parsley
- 1 cup chicken, cooked and diced
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese – for garnish
- 1 pound package gnocchi
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent and lightly browned around the edges, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir constantly as the flour cooks, about 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the half and half and simmer until thickened, about 4-6 minutes. Whisk in the chicken broth and simmer until thickened again, about 2-4 minutes.
- Add the Carrots, spinach leaves, thyme, parsley, chicken, and gnocchi. Continue to cook until all the ingredients are just heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper, serve.
Other Copycat Recipes: