THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
These Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes are stuffed with a peanut butter bon bon and topped with peanut butter frosting and chocolate chips.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
|Look at that cupcake!!!|
My 10-year-old niece Dayna and I have decided to bake a treat together once a week. We made these cupcakes about a week and a half ago and they are seriously good! I think they might be *THE* best dessert I’ve ever made and they were surprisingly easy taking only 80 minutes from start to finish. We didn’t have enough ingredients to make a full batch so we halved the recipe and made mini-cupcakes.
***Update June 19th, 2011*** I made these Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes standard-sized and they came out perfectly! See the pictures above and below!
Check out more chocolate and peanut butter recipes:
- Deep Dish Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pie
- Butterfinger Peanut Butter Cups Cheesecake Dip
- Peanut Butter Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Buckeye Brownie Cheesecake Cake
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Dream Bars
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Grahams
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE CUPCAKES:
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 3¼ cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup frozen whipped topping thawed
- mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners.
- To make the filling, combine the confectioners' sugar, peanut butter, butter and vanilla extract in a bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Roll the mixture into 1-inch balls (at least 24) and set aside on a baking sheet.
- To make the cake batter, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; whisk together and set aside. In a liquid measuring cup, stir together the sour cream, milk and vanilla extract. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar, and beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl as needed. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the dry ingredients and the sour cream mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix just until incorporated.
- Spoon a tablespoon or two of batter into the bottom of each cupcake liner. Place a ball of the peanut butter filling in each cupcake well and top with the remaining batter so that all the cups are filled. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the cream cheese, butter, and peanut butter until smooth. Slowly mix in the confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth and well blended. Mix in the whipped topping until smooth and fluffy. Frost cooled cupcakes as desired, and garnish with mini chocolate chips.
|Unbaked cupcakes before they get their final layer of batter.|
|Ready for the oven.|
|Fresh out of the oven.|