The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This Cream Puffs Recipe is made with buttery Choux pastry and filled with sweet cream. It’s a bakery-quality dessert that folks are always impressed with.
These Cream Puffs cost $4.60 to make twenty-eight servings. That works out to be around $0.16 per serving!
For more bakery-style desserts from around the world that you can enjoy at home, I recommend these Pink Macarons, Homemade Cannoli, and this Baklava recipe.
Cream Puffs Recipe
Cream Puffs are a French dessert that is a light and delicate finger dessert filled with a sweet cream filling and then lightly dusted with powdered sugar.
They are a delicate and dainty dessert that I make every year for Easter. However, they are a classic dessert that can be served any time of the year for any occasion.
They work well at baby and bridal showers, family gatherings, holiday dinners, etc. They’re also great for potlucks.
I like bringing smaller desserts to potlucks because people tend to take more than 1 dessert and then get full. This usually means food ends up in the trash (gah, I hate that!).
You know the tub of cream puffs you can buy frozen at Costco, and everyone loves them? These homemade Cream puffs are way better than that! These taste best when you eat them after being freshly baked.
You will feel like you are experiencing a dessert straight from a French Bakery, all from the comfort of your own home!
While both are pastries with a cream filling, you freeze profiteroles after making them, and these puffs you do not.
They will deflate if the temperature is not right while combining the ingredients. Be sure to follow the directions step-by-step, and your puffs will indeed puff up.
Make sure to boil the water, butter, salt, and sugar over medium-high heat in the beginning before adding in the flour. After stirring in the flour, a film will form on the bottom of the saucepan and this is how you will know it is ready and has been prepared at the correct temperature.
The shells can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator to keep them fresh. Use them within 24 hours. Alternatively, you can freeze the shells for up to two months in a plastic freezer bag.
How To Make Cream Puffs:
- First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Next, make the dough for the cream puff shells on the stovetop. Place the dough in a pastry bag with a large round tip.
- Pipe a circle, 2 inches in diameter, onto the prepared baking sheets. Brush each cream puff with the egg wash mixture before baking.
- After the puffs are cooled, make the cream filling. Fill a pastry bag with a decorative or round tip with the filling.
- Cut the top of the cream puff with a knife and fill it with the cream filling. Then replace the tops.
- Finally, dust the cream puffs with powdered sugar and berries before serving.
- Baking sheet
- Mixing bowls
- Large saucepan
- Wooden spoon
- Pastry bag and icing tips
- Chef’s knife
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
How Long Are They Good For:
SERVE: You can keel filled cream puffs at room temperature for about 1 hour before they need to be refrigerated.
STORE: Once they’re filled, they need to be eaten immediately or up to 24 hours.
FREEZE: You can freeze the cream puff shell, but not the filling. Freeze unfilled shells in a freezer-safe Ziploc bag or container for 2-3 months. Thaw the shells at room temperature for about 1-2 hours before filling and serving.
How much will this Cream Puff Recipe cost to make?
Recipe cost: $4.60
Per Serving Cost: $0.16
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- 1 cup water – $0.00
- ½ cup unsalted butter – $0.80
- ½ teaspoon salt – $0.01
- 1 ½ teaspoon granulated sugar – $0.35
- 1 cup all-purpose flour – $0.19
- 5 large eggs – $0.50
- 2 cups whipping cream – $2.34
- ¼ cup powdered sugar – $0.07
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract – $0.34
More Dessert Recipes:
- White Chocolate Blondies with Macadamia Nuts
- Cheesecake Factory Carrot Cake Cheesecake Copycat
- Strawberry Lasagna
- Chocolate Meringue Cookies
- Cinnamon Crumb Cake
- Watergate Salad
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Cake Copycat
- Black and White Cookies
- Wicked Good Boston Cream Pie
- Fruit Pizza with Citrus Glaze
- Mixed Berry Crisp
- Homemade Banana Pudding
- Frog Eye Salad
- Homemade Cannoli Shells
CREAM PUFF SHELLS:
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 large eggs divided
CREAM PUFF FILLING:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar plus more for dusting
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Strawberries sliced
PREP OVEN AND BAKING SHEET:
- Move oven rack to the middle position. Preheat oven to 375 ° F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
MAKE CREAM PUFF SHELLS:
- Make an egg wash with 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of water, whisk together vigorously, and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, add water, butter, salt, and sugar.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat and then remove from the saucepan from the heat.
- Quickly stir in flour with a wooden spoon until well combined and thick paste forms, about 1 minute.
- Return the saucepan to the stovetop and continue cooking, constantly stirring until a film forms on the bottom of the saucepan.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, transfer the mixture to a large bowl, and let it cool slightly.
- Add 4 eggs, one at a time, stirring to incorporate each egg completely before adding the next egg.
- Transfer dough mixture to a large disposable pastry bag fitted with a large round tip.
- Pipe circles, 2 inches in diameter, onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Moisten your finger with water and gently smooth out the pointed peaks of the dough if necessary.
- Brush the surface of each cream puff with egg wash.
- Bake the cream puff shells at 375 ° F for 25-30 minutes or until the puffs rise and are golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow the cream puff shells to cool completely on wire racks.
MAKE CREAM PUFF FILLING:
- While cream puffs are cooling, place a large mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer to chill.
- When the cream puffs are cooled, remove the bowl and beaters from the freezer.
- Add heavy cream to the chilled, large bowl and beat until peaks form.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Fit a large pastry bag with a round or decorative tip and fill it with the cream puff filling.
ASSEMBLE CREAM PUFFS:
- Cut the top portion of each cream puff off with a knife.
- Then, fill each shell with pastry cream.
- Next, replace the tops of the cream puffs.
- Alternatively, you can leave the cream puffs whole and fill them from the puff’s bottom using a nozzle tip.
- Dust the puffs with powdered sugar or berries, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
- Add the cream to the puffs no more than 4 hours before serving. Although the puffs will keep for 24 hours in the refrigerator, their filling will deflate slightly, so it’s best to fill them no more than 4 hours before serving.
- Store the puffs in the refrigerator.
ENTER YOUR NAME AND EMAIL AND GET MY DELICIOUS WEEKLY NEWSLETTER... IT'S FREE!
These cream puffs look amazing! What a perfect spring dessert.
Jessica Formicola says
I adore cream puffs but I’ve never tried making them at home! This recipe looks so simple and I can’t wait to try it!
Neli Howard says
Love these cream puffs though- I’ve never made them but I’m glad to know how easy they are!
These cream puffs are gorgeous! These would be beautiful to serve for Easter!