The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Stovetop Burgers are tasty and easy to make. Come learn how to cook burgers on the stove so you can enjoy juicy cheeseburgers any time of the year!
These burgers cost $6.80 to make. The recipe makes four hamburgers and costs $1.70 per burger.
Check out my recipes for Smoked Burgers, Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burgers, and Loaded Italian Sausage Burgers for more delicious burgers.
Best Stovetop Burgers
If you want a burger but do not have a grill or it is not grilling weather, you may think that you cannot have a burger. I am here to tell you that is not true!
You can cook burgers on the stovetop that are juicy, delicious, and cooked perfectly! With this quick sear method, stovetop burgers are an easy dinner any time of the year.
Using a skillet allows the burgers to have a perfect brown crust and juicy center. The meat is seasoned with simple seasonings and left to chill for a few minutes in the fridge to allow the flavors to blend.
Finally, top them with melty cheese, a delicious sauce, and favorite toppings. Skip the drive-thru and start cooking burgers on the stovetop instead to make a classic burger just the way you like them.
INGREDIENTS AND ESTIMATED COST
Per Serving Cost: $1.70
Recipe Cost: $6.80
- 1 pound Lean Ground Beef – $3.33
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce – $0.02
- ¼ teaspoon salt – $0.01
- ¼ teaspoon pepper – $0.01
- 1 ½ Tablespoons breadcrumbs – $0.04
- 1 egg – $0.17
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil – $0.04
- ½ cup mayonnaise – $0.34
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder – $0.01
- 1 Tablespoon Sriracha – $0.02
- 1 large tomato – $0.68
- 1 small red onion – $0.70
- 4 leaves of Romaine lettuce – $0.23
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese – $0.76
- 4 burger buns – $0.44
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- First, add the ground beef, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, breadcrumbs, and egg to a bowl and stir together. Set the bowl in the refrigerator for ten minutes.
- Next, divide the beef mixture into four equal parts and then form them into four patties.
- Then, use your knuckle to make a small indention in the center of each patty.
- Using a small bowl, stir all of the sauce ingredients together.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add vegetable oil to the pan. Add the patties and cook for about five minutes on each side.
- Add a slice of cheese on the top of the patty during the last minute of cooking.
- To finish, assemble to burger according to your liking and enjoy!
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below!
- Feel free to use your favorite sliced cheese on the burgers.
- Add your favorite toppings to the burgers. What I have listed are just suggestions.
STORAGE AND REHEATING TIPS
SERVE: You can keep the hamburgers out for about two hours before they need to be covered and refrigerated.
STORE: It’s best to store the cooked hamburger patties and spicy mayonnaise sauce separately. The patties will keep for about 4-5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator and the spicy mayonnaise sauce for about 2 weeks in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
FREEZE: The only component I recommend freezing is the burger itself. Cooked beef patties will last in the freezer for 2-3 months. Raw patties will last for longer, about 6 months. Keep each patty separated with parchment paper or wrapped individually in plastic wrap and in an airtight container.
DEFROST: Defrost the hamburger patties overnight in the refrigerator.
MAKE AHEAD: You can mix the beef with salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and breadcrumbs 2 days prior, keep in the fridge, sealed.
- Mixing bowls
- Mixing spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
The patties need to cook on the skillet for about five minutes per side. That’s it! Cooking the burgers on the stovetop is a quick and easy way to enjoy a hamburger.
I recommend adding vegetable oil to a pre-heated skillet before putting the hamburger patties on the skillet. The vegetable oil helps ensure that the meat does not stick to the pan while cooking the patties.
Each stovetop heats a little differently, so you will want to watch your patties while they cook. I have found that cooking each patty for about five minutes per side creates the perfect burger that will be well done. If you want it less done, decrease the cooking time to four minutes per side. If you turn the burgers too soon, they may stick to the pan and be too rare, so I recommend cooking them for five minutes.
MORE BEEF RECIPES
- Ground Beef Lettuce Wraps
- Smoked Chili
- Ultimate Nachos
- Instant Pot Meatloaf and Potatoes
- Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Philly Cheeseteak Sloppy Joes
- Swedish Meatballs
- Mexican Lasagna
- Oven-Baked Beef Taquitos
- Easy Southwest Shepherd’s Pie
FOR BEEF PATTIES:
- 1 pound Lean Ground Beef
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ Tablespoon breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
FOR SPICY MAYONNAISE SAUCE:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 large firm tomato thinly sliced circles
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced circles
- 4 leaves of Romaine lettuce
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 burger buns of choice toasted
MAKE BEEF PATTIES:
- Add ground beef, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, breadcrumbs, and egg to a bowl. Stir to combine or mix by hand.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes for the flavors to blend.
- Divide the beef mixture into four equal parts. Form into 4 patties that are about ¾-inch thick and 4 ½ inches across.
- Using your knuckle, make a small indentation in the center of each patty. This will help them to cook evenly and prevents the middle from rising during the cooking process.
- Make the sauce by combining all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet or grill pan over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add vegetable oil to the pan.
- Add the patties and cook until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes on each side.
- During the last minute of cooking, add a slice of cheddar cheese on top of the burger.
- Assemble the burger. I assembled mine by adding the spicy mayonnaise sauce on top of the bun followed by the red onion, beef patty, chese, tomato, lettuce, and another layer of the mayonnaise sauce followed byt he top bun.
- Serve and enjoy.
ENTER YOUR NAME AND EMAIL AND GET MY DELICIOUS WEEKLY NEWSLETTER... IT'S FREE!
You can’t beat a good homemade burger. The spicy mayo sounds amazing.
Great recipe! We loved that it uses lean beef and the spicy mayo was a perfect addition! Thanks for sharing!
Your photos are making me hungry! I actually prefer burgers on the stovetop, or even in my air fryer, to a grill. Can’t wait to try your spicy mayonnaise!
Can’t believe how quick and easy these are to make, and absolutely delicious too!
Love how you can make these burgers on the stove. So easy for any night of the week! We all loved this delicious recipe!