This One Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls Recipe is a quick & easy one pot Mexican meal that feeds a crowd. These are perfect for game day, too!
Disclosure: This recipe for One Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
There’s a one-pot recipe craze going on right now. They’re quick & easy to make, and there seem to be endless combinations. Today I’m sharing my favorite Mexican one pot recipe: One Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls. These burrito bowls are perfect for serving while entertaining a crowd. I’ll be serving these during big college basketball games. Burritos can be a little messy to eat while sitting on the couch and watching the game, but serving them like a burrito bowl contains the mess!
One of my favorite places to eat is Chipotle. Their chicken burrito bowls are the bomb dot com! Unfortunately, I do not have quick access to a Chipotle. Fortunately, I can make my own chicken burrito bowl and get the same great taste. What’s even better about this recipe is that it only takes one pot to make it! As a busy mom, one-pot meals are music to my ears.
Chicken burrito bowls are a healthy option to a traditional burrito as you can serve it over lettuce without the tortilla. The variety this one pot/one dish gives you is awesome! You can serve it so many ways you will never feel like you are using the same old recipe. You can serve it over rice if you would like or even over chips for some nachos. However you choose to serve it, these chicken burrito bowls will be a hit (and easy clean up) at any party or family dinner night!
All the ingredients you need for this recipe:
Are burrito bowls healthy?
If you stick with the healthiest items in your burrito bowl of chicken, veggies, lettuce, tomato salsa and avocado you will be somewhere right around 500 calories for that meal. It is a pretty filling dish so you should be set! It will add some calories to add the good stuff including the beans, rice, sour cream and cheese which will add roughly another 500 calories. Basically, this meal is flexible to be as healthy as you would like it to be.
What goes in a burrito bowl?
The basics of a burrito bowl are chicken, beans, tomatoes, cheese, and some seasonings served over rice. You can top the burrito bowls with items such as cheese, lettuce, sour cream, avocado, and green onions.
Cook’s Note – One Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls Recipe:
- To assemble the burrito bowls I like to add the rice mixture to a bowl, top with shredded lettuce and add more of the garnishes.
- This one pot burrito bowl mixture is also great served over chips as nachos!
One Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 cup extra long-grain rice uncooked
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 2/3 cups chicken broth
- 1.5 pounds cooked chicken cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 15- ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 10- ounce can RO*TEL tomatoes I used their Lime & Cilantro variety
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chili powder depending on how spicy you like it
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- Roma tomatoes diced
- avocado diced
- sour cream
- green onions sliced
- lime wedges
- In a large, deep pan over medium heat add the olive oil. Once the oil is shimmering add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions soften; about 3-5 minutes. Add the rice to the pan and saute the rice until it starts to brown; about 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant; about 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken broth, cooked chicken, black bean, RO*TEL, chili powder, and ground cumin to the pan. Stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a low boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 20-25 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Turn off the heat, uncover, and fluff the mixture briefly with a fork. Season with salt and pepper. Add the cheese and stir to combine. Add your garnishes, and serve!
My Favorite Quick & Easy Mexican Recipes:
- 30 Minute Quinoa Taco Casserole
- Taco Salad Mini Bites
- Tex-Mex Stuffed Squash
- Overnight Breakfast Enchiladas
- Mexican Lasagna
- Stove Top Chicken Fajitas
- Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
Latest posts by Jillian (see all)
- Cranberry Chicken Salad with Pecans for Sandwiches - December 9, 2019
- Christmas Ham with Cherry Ham Glaze - December 6, 2019
- Gingerbread Cheesecake Dip - December 4, 2019