THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY FOR DETAILS.
This Ground Beef Stroganoff recipe is some serious comfort food and ready in just 30 minutes. It serves 6 and costs $15.16 to make. That’s just $2.53 per serving!
Now doesn’t that just look scrumptious?! This Ground Beef Stroganoff is a fabulous, quick & easy weeknight meal that’s ready in 30 minutes or less.
Are you looking for a healthier meal that doesn’t skimp on taste? It’s hard to find, right? I know you might be thinking comfort food & health benefits don’t exactly go together, but they do in this recipe! There’s some fabulous health benefits to this comfort food.
This Ground Beef Stroganoff has an entire pound of mushrooms in it. I’m sure you’ve heard that the more color a vegetable has, the better it is for you. Well, not with mushrooms, folks.
Mushrooms are rich in B Vitamins and Vitamin D. This would be such a great dish to have during the cold and dreary days of winter when you don’t see much sun.
So there you go, this Ground Beef Stroganoff recipe is total comfort food AND it has some serious health benefits, too!
How to make the BEST Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe:
- First, melt the butter in a large skillet and then add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic. Cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Next, add the beef, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Then add the gravy mix and flour, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Next, stir in the broth, Worcestershire, pepper, and salt. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Finally, remove from heat and stir in parsley and sour cream. Serve over hot egg noodles.
What is stroganoff sauce made of?
Stroganoff sauce is basically a simple sauce made of gravy, flour, butter, mushrooms, Worcestershire, broth, onion, and garlic. It smells heavenly when it is cooking! You then add the beef and sour cream to complete the sauce.
Can I use cream instead of sour cream in stroganoff?
If you do not have sour cream you can substitute heavy whipping cream. Just mix a tablespoon of lemon juice with a cup of heavy whipping cream. Or you can mix together a cup of heavy cream, a cup of yogurt and a cup of mayonnaise to create a substitute for sour cream.
How do I thicken beef stroganoff?
If you need to thicken your beef stroganoff mix equal parts cornstarch and flour in a separate bowl. Start with 2-3 tablespoons of each and then stir it into the pan to let simmer for a few minutes. The sauce should thicken at this point.
Looking for more Quick and Easy Recipes? Check these recipes out:
- Avocado Strawberry Spinach Wraps
- Citrus Cream Pasta
- Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheese
- Copycat Pizzeria Pizza Sauce
- Easy Broccoli Quiche
- Easy Chicken Barley Soup
- One-Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Easy Ham and Cheese Quiche
- Panera’s Mac & Cheese
- Pantry Chicken Taco Soup
- Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
- Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup
- Tomato Basil Pasta
How much will this Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe cost to make?
RECIPE COST: $15.16
PER SERVING COST: $2.53
NOTE: The recipe prices are used calculating name brand products from Walmart’s website. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what your pantry is already stocked with and current grocery prices.
- 2 tablespoons butter – $0.20
- 16 ounces of packaged baby bella mushrooms – $3.78
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion – $0.62
- 3 medium garlic cloves minced – $0.15
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef – $5.40
- (1) 0.87-ounce package of onion gravy mix – $1.12
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour – $0.06
- (1) 14-ounce can chicken broth – $0.74
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce – $0.05
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper – $0.01
- 1/4 teaspoon salt – $0.01
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley – $0.28
- 2/3 cup sour cream – $0.96
- (1) 12-ounce package wide egg noodles – $1.78
Cook’s Note – Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff:
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Instead of ground beef you can use ground turkey instead.
Ground Beef Stroganoff
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 16 ounces baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 medium garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
- 0.87 ounce package onion gravy mix
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 14 ounce can chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (plus more for garnish)
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 12 ounce package wide egg noodles cooked as per package instructions
- In a large, deep skillet melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic; cook for 6-8 minutes or until the mushrooms have released their liquid.
- Add the beef and break it up with a wooden spoon and cook 8-10 minutes, or until the beef is fully cooked and browned.
- Add the gravy mix and flour. Stir constantly for 2 minutes, and then stir in the broth, Worcestershire, pepper, and salt. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, and stir in parsley and sour cream. Serve over hot boiled egg noodles. Garnish with chopped parsley if desired.
This post for Ground Beef Stroganoff first appeared on Food Folks and Fun on October 16, 2014. I have since updated the pictures and the post. Some of the original pictures are below.