Sausage and Peppers are one of my favorite combinations. I love ’em on a fresh grinder roll, in pasta, lasagna, and lately in this stuffed peppers recipe!
Sausage & Peppers Stuffed Peppers Recipe
I grew up in New England where mom & pop Italian restaurant were on every corner. A lot of them were simple, no-frills, and served up good ol’ comfort food. One of my favorite dishes to order would be sausage and peppers. Today I’m sharing a twist on the classic in this Sausage & Peppers Stuffed Peppers Recipe.
Cook’s Note for Sausage & Peppers Stuffed Peppers Recipe:
- Feel free to use your favorite type of bell peppers for this recipe (red, orange, yellow, etc).
- Make this recipe for dinner in a snap; make stuffed peppers in the morning, and keep them in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake them.
Sausage and Peppers Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 4 large green bell peppers
- ½ pound spicy Italian pork sausage
- ½ pound sweet Italian pork sausage
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese divided
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch x 8-inch pan (or any other 2-quart baking pan) with cooking spray.
- Prepare the peppers; cut in half length-wise, remove the stem, seeds and white membrane. Nestle the peppers into your prepared baking dish; set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Remove the sausage from its casings, and add to your pan. Use the back of a wooden spoon to break the meat apart into chunks and cook, stirring frequently, until browned.
- Place the sausage onto a paper towel-lined plate, and drain off all but 1 teaspoon of the fat. Add the onions and oregano to the pan, and cook until softened and starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sausage back to the pan along with canned tomatoes, and ½ cup of the mozzarella cheese.
- Spoon the mixture into your prepared bell peppers. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, and top the bell peppers with the remaining ½ cup of mozzarella cheese. Bake for an extra 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Do you love Sausage and Peppers as I do? Then check out my other recipes!