Cook’s Note – Sausage and Peppers Pasta:
- Use you favorite type of Italian sausage in this recipe: hot, mild, or sweet. I usually use a combination of hot and sweet.
- Leftover sausage and peppers pasta can be stored in and air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Cook’s Tools – Sausage and Peppers Pasta:
Click play to see my Sausage and Peppers Pasta recipe video:
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ pounds Italian sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 14½-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1½ cups cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 16 oz penne pasta, cooked as per package direction
- Shredded Mozzarella (for serving)
- Grated Parmesan (for serving)
- Freshly chopped basil (for serving)
- Heat oil in a large, deep skillet or pan over medium heat.
- Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until brown, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until golden brown, about 1 minute. Add the peppers and onion and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 4-6 minutes.
- Once the peppers and onions are just tender, add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, basil, oregano, and fennel seeds to the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 8 minutes, and then uncover the and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour the sausage, peppers, and tomato mixture over the cooked penne pasta. Top with mozzarella, Parmesan cheese, fresh basil, and serve!
More Sausage and Peppers Recipes: