The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
This Crockpot Whole Chicken recipe makes a succulent roast chicken with minimal effort. It’s an easy crockpot recipe suitable for weeknights, Sunday dinners, and even holidays!
For $8.06, you can have a fresh Slow Cooker Whole Chicken with roasted vegetables minus the extra ingredients and preservatives you get when you buy one pre-made at the store. It makes six servings for about $1.34 per serving.
This is delicious served alongside Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes. Or use the leftover meat in many dishes such as Chicken Enchilada Casserole, Cranberry Chicken Salad, Chicken Divan Casserole, and BBQ Chicken Pizza.
Crockpot Whole Chicken
This recipe is a rotisserie-style chicken which takes a few minutes to prepare and yields a seasoned chicken with fresh roasted vegetables. The chicken is placed on top of the vegetables in the slow cooker and then cooked low and slow. This process allows the chicken to drip juices on the veggies, which only enhances their flavor.
I love how easy it is to make a slow cooker whole chicken in the crockpot. You rub the chicken with a spice blend to enhance the natural ingredients’ flavor and place it on top of the vegetables to cook.
Leave the crockpot alone and come back to the BEST Whole Chicken! Put it under the broiler for a few minutes to get that same crispy skin you love from a store-bought rotisserie chicken. It makes a great weeknight meal for busy nights or an enjoyable Sunday dinner with the family.
Is it OK to put raw chicken in a slow cooker?
Yes, it is entirely safe to put raw chicken in the slow cooker. The steam created in the slow cooker will steam the chicken, cooking a moist and tender piece of meat every time.
Do you need to put water in a slow cooker with chicken?
No, you do not need to add any liquid to the slow cooker while cooking chicken. The chicken naturally releases juices within it while it is cooking. The chicken will be moist and tender without the addition of water.
How long should you cook chicken in a crockpot?
Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours or until the chicken’s internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
How to make Crockpot Whole Chicken with Roasted Vegetables:
STEP ONE: First, spray the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Then add the chopped veggies, garlic, and herbs to the crockpot.
STEP TWO: Next, prep the chicken and set it aside. Mix the dry ingredients to make the dry rub.
STEP THREE: Then, drizzle olive oil over the chicken, rubbing it over the entire chicken. Sprinkle the dry rub over the chicken.
STEP FOUR: Place the chicken on top of the veggies. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4.
STEP FIVE: Finally, remove the chicken from the crockpot to rest for fifteen minutes before slicing and serving with the roasted vegetables.
- You can add other vegetables to the bottom of the slow cooker to make a complete meal. Occasionally I add some chopped red potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes, or sweet potatoes.
- You can make a quick gravy from the drippings of this crockpot roast chicken. Just following my turkey gravy recipe and use chicken drippings and broth instead of turkey drippings.
Cook’s Tools – Crockpot Roast Chicken:
- Measuring spoons
- Slow cooker
- Cutting board
- Chef’s knife
- Small bowl
How much will this Crockpot Whole Chicken recipe cost to make:
RECIPE COST: $8.06
PER SERVING COST: $1.34
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
- 4 large celery stalks – $0.72
- 1 medium red onion – $0.70
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary – $0.24
- 1 whole chicken (4-5 pounds) – $5.05
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil – $0.28
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt – $0.02
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt – $0.06
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme – $0.15
- 1 teaspoon paprika – $0.03
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme – $0.03
- 4 large garlic cloves – $0.20
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary – $0.12
- ½ teaspoon black pepper – $0.03
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley – $0.05
- 3 large carrots – $0.42
- ½ teaspoon onion powder – $0.01
How Long is this Slow Cooker Roast Chicken Recipe Good For:
SERVE: As will most meat, you can keep the cooked whole chicken at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
STORE: Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
FREEZE: Store the finished crockpot whole chicken in an airtight container or a freezer-safe Ziploc bag in the freezer for 4-6 months.
More Slow Cooker Recipes:
- Crockpot Little Smokies
- Easy Crockpot Chili
- Boston Baked Beans
- Spare Ribs
- Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes
- Tuscan White Bean Soup
- Chicken Gyro Bowls
- Beef Stew
- Kielbasa Kapusta
- Sausage and Peppers
- Honey Baked Ham
- Ham Chowder
- Pot Roast
Slow Cooker Whole Chicken
- 4 large celery stalks cleaned and chopped
- 3 large carrots cleaned and chopped
- 1 medium red onion peeled and cut into pieces
- 4 large garlic cloves peeled and smashed
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4-5 pound whole chicken neck and giblets removed, washed, and patted dry
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped **see notes
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped **see notes
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Spray the crockpot insert with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add chopped vegetables, garlic, and herbs to the crockpot.
- Rinse the chicken, remove the giblets and the beck, and pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
MAKE THE RUB:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the seasoning rib.
- Drizzle the chicken with olive oil and rub until the chicken is evenly coated in oil.
- Sprinkle the seasoning rub over the chicken and rub to distribute it over the chicken evenly.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables inside the slow cooker insert.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours or until the chicken's internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Remove the chicken from the crockpot and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve with the roasted vegetables.
- Instead of using fresh herbs in the seasoning rub, can use ½ teaspoon of dried thyme and ½ teaspoon of dried rosemary.
- If you would like crispy skin on the roasted chicken, then place the chicken in a baking dish and broil for 4-5 minutes or golden brown. Make sure you watch it carefully!