The recipe prices will vary based on fluctuating grocery costs. Please use what is posted as a guide.
Instant pot chicken drumsticks are so juicy, tender, and made quickly. They’re great for a quick weeknight dinner.
This recipe costs approximately $3.65 to make. It makes three servings for about $1.22 per serving.
If you love drumsticks as much as I do, check out my other recipe variations: Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks, Boiled Chicken Drumsticks, and Smoked Chicken Drumsticks.
When you thought dinner couldn’t get any easier, the Instant Pot comes along and works magic in your kitchen. These Chicken Drumsticks are juicy, tender, and cooked to fall off the bone perfection in the Instant Pot. They are then placed in the broiler to give you perfectly crisp skin.
The recipe starts with a simple dry rub, and then the Instant Pot works for you. And it does it quickly for you. With lots going on, this is an easy meal for busy weeknights and can be a versatile dinner.
These Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks go with most side dishes making a fabulous dinner, or serve them as an appetizer on game day! However you choose to do them, these Chicken Drumsticks will quickly become one of your favorite Instant Pot recipes.
Ingredients and Estimated Cost
Per Serving Cost: $1.22
Recipe Cost: $3.65
- 6-7 chicken drumsticks – $3.34
- 1 Tablespoon paprika – $0.10
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder – $0.03
- 1 teaspoon onion powder – $0.03
- ½ teaspoon oregano – $0.11
- 1 teaspoon salt – $0.01
- 1 cup water – $0.00
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil – $0.03
NOTE: The recipe prices are calculated by using grocery store websites. The actual cost of the recipe will vary depending on what ingredients you already have.
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks
- First, stir together the red paprika, black pepper powder, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, and salt.
- Next, rub the spice rub all over the chicken.
- Turn the Instant Pot on to the Saute setting. Add oil to the pot.
- After the oil is hot, add the chicken drumsticks and brown on all sides for about two to three minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken and place it on a plate. Add water to the pot and then the trivet. Place the drumsticks on the trivet.
- Close the lid and pressure cook on high for ten minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally for ten minutes.
- Using tongs, remove the chicken and place them on a baking tray.
- Finally, broil the drumsticks for two minutes per side and serve while hot.
***For complete recipe instructions, see the recipe card below.
SERVE: Serve hot, garnished with chopped cilantro and BBQ sauce.
STORE: You can store the drumsticks in an airtight container for 4 days in the refrigerator
FREEZE: Place the cooked and cooled chicken drumsticks in an airtight container to store in the freezer for up to three months.
The drumsticks will cook for ten minutes with a few minutes of prep time. The Instant Pot will take about fifteen minutes to come up to the temperature to cook. You will also need to add time for the Instant Pot to release naturally and a couple of minutes to broil the chicken. So you are looking at just under forty minutes to cook this meal from start to finish.
Absolutely! That is the beauty of the Instant Pot. The chicken can be raw, and the Instant Pot will cook it for you after it comes to pressure.
This recipe is best to use a trivet in the Instant Pot. The water in the bottom of the pot helps create a moist and juicy chicken by quickly steaming the chicken. It would help if you had the trivet so the chicken is not sitting in the water and can cook evenly.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Lemon Chicken Thighs
- Refried Beans
- Velveeta Mac and Cheese
- Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
- Meatloaf and Potatoes
- Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy
- Hard Boiled Eggs
Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks
- 6-7 chicken drumsticks
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
MAKE SPICE RUB:
- Mx together red paprika, black pepper powder, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, and salt in a small bowl.
- Gently massage the spice rub all over the chicken.
- Set the instant pot to the SAUTE function.
- Add oil to the pot. Once hot, add all the chicken drumsticks in a single layer and brown on all sides for about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add water to the pot and deglaze the pot. Place a trivet in the pot. Arrange the chicken drumsticks on the trivet.
- Close the lid and pressure valve. Select the PRESSURE COOK button on HIGH PRESSURE and cook for 10 minutes.
- Once the pressure-cooking cycle is over, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes.
- Open the lid and select the CANCEL button.
- Carefully take the chicken out with the help of tongs.
- Transfer the chicken to a baking tray. Broil the chicken drumsticks for 2 minutes per side.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped cilantro and BBQ sauce.
ENTER YOUR NAME AND EMAIL AND GET MY DELICIOUS WEEKLY NEWSLETTER... IT'S FREE!
So simple and tasty! Love this option for weeknight dinners.
These quick, simple and budget friendly drumsticks are perfect for my family. Great on a busy weeknight too!
such an easy recipe! I brought the drumsticks to a potluck and everyone devoured them! Thanks for the recipe!
I love the flavor from the spice blend! The drumsticks turned out so delicious and we enjoyed it for dinner!